1/72 FW 190 progress shots

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry to hear about the car Alex, but as you say, atleast you've still got it.

Nice work on the 190!

Noticed the Mr.Mark Softer too - sorry for the stupid question, but what's the best way to use it?

Sorry to hear about your car Alex..hope you get to catch up with the scumbag(s)

hey Evan I use the Mr Mark softener...usually put it straight on the decal for a few seconds then soak up the excess with the corner of a tissue...seems to work pretty good.

Thanks wayne! Do you mean you apply the decal with water first, then apply the drops once it's in place? And do you allow the decal to dry in place first before applying the drops? Stupid questions again, but I've got Mr.Mark softer, just never worked out how to use it!

I've read some people apply the softener to the model first, then apply the decal, btw. Do you think that would make a difference?

(...Sorry for highjacking the thread Alex!!!! I'll be done in a minute!) :)

Cheers fellas, unfortunately it was raining so no chance of any prints or anything like that. My employer hasn't installed cameras or lights in the car park because its 'not their responsibility' so I'm definately looking for other work. Not working to pay for damage to my car each week.

Nah you're right Evan :)

As for Mr softener I use it on the model then apply the decal and then brush a bit over the decal just to seal it initially. I use it mainly to help it settle over the model ie in panel lines and other bits.

Cheers - 190 is done, over in the completed section. :)

Last edited:
Actually it was next to mine. The company uses the blanket excuse of it being the centre managment that they rent their store space off to look after security, typical really. I was lucky because numerous people I know have had their cars taken and joy rided and even torched when parked there, such is the quality of life that inhabits the surroundiing areas.

Thanks wayne! Do you mean you apply the decal with water first, then apply the drops once it's in place? And do you allow the decal to dry in place first before applying the drops? Stupid questions again, but I've got Mr.Mark softer, just never worked out how to use it!

I've read some people apply the softener to the model first, then apply the decal, btw. Do you think that would make a difference?

(...Sorry for highjacking the thread Alex!!!! I'll be done in a minute!) :)

Once the decal has been applied to the glossy surface and water removed I apply the softener to settle it down, sometimes more than once...if required. but avoid touching during this process...even if the decal appears to be turning to sh!t...it will settle!!

Thanks Wayne!

Slight dilemma: I don't have an airbrush, and we can't get Tamiya sprays here. The only way I could put a gloss coat on would be either with a normal car lacquer, or painting the area with Humrol 49 varnish (for which there is no Matt counterpart). Any alternatives, or would Mr. mark softer still work if I apply to the area before the decal is in place?

Hey Evan, Mmmm that does create a bit of an issue....

I have found that the softener does work quickly and can destroy the decal if you don't get it in place correctly and quick, if you then try to move it then your stuffed as it will disintegrate and you know the rest....starting with some fairly strong cursing!!

Do you have the local equivalent of the Future Floor Polish stuff? maybe this could help?

Another Possibility diluting the softener a bit for under the decal...this could help?

Last edited:
G'day Wayne! Windex sounds like a window cleaning spray or something - is that right?

The other option sounds plausible, I'll practice with some spare decals on a scrap kit... Thanks! :D

Aw....I'm an idiot:rolleyes: ...
QUOTE]

You're in good company then.. :)

Thanks for the link Wayne! Seems the closest source to me is Germany, so I'll have to order via the net. Thanks again :D

Alex, you'd better start posting pics, or I'll have to find a new subject to steal your thread with! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back