1/72 Hobbyboss Fw190A-6...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LA2019

Airman 1st Class
Jan 11, 2009
Finished up my Fw190A-6, 5./JG54. Autumn 1943.

Nice little kit. No cockpit detail but nice panel lines. Hand painted with Model Master enamel/acryil PolyS. I used PolyS for the dark green and black green. The Model master versions do not seem correct. Overall, a very fun build.

IMG_3924.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

Nice work!

Of the 2 1/72 kits I've built (Testors and Academy), I almost purchased a Hobby Boss 1/72 kit from my local store but was not sure how it would assemble. I'm not pleased with the Testors kit, but admit the Academy was fairly well detailed for that size. Based on the build above, I may purchase one to try.

Nice work!

Of the 2 1/72 kits I've built (Testors and Academy), I almost purchased a Hobby Boss 1/72 kit from my local store but was not sure how it would assemble. I'm not pleased with the Testors kit, but admit the Academy was fairly well detailed for that size. Based on the build above, I may purchase one to try.

The Academy kit has some scale issues. For details, you can look in on Doctor Igor's reconstructive surgery in the VVS GB

Oh my, don't think I've earned that title yet... :oops:
But seriously, regarding the Academy kit you only start to appreciate it's inaccuracies when you try to rectify them. Don't know if there's a part of that kit that is not out of proportion.

Oh my, don't think I've earned that title yet... :oops:
But seriously, regarding the Academy kit you only start to appreciate it's inaccuracies when you try to rectify them. Don't know if there's a part of that kit that is not out of proportion.

What 1/72 kit would say is is the best? I'm planning on building a small fleet of these little birds and I certainly want to go with the best option.

Thanks.

Among the "cheaper" options in 1/72 that would be Revell's Fw 190A-8/F-8 from my experience. Don't know about Tamiya though. Never build one as Tamiya was always to expensive for me. I hear that Zvezda is due to release a new tool Fw 190A-4 in 1/72nd towards the end of this year. Curious how that one will be as their new Ju 88 is excellent.

Last edited:
I agree with Imalko that the Revell Fw190A is one of the best in the scale. Also the Tamiya is a very nice kit. The Academy kit is a dud in fact. However the Revell cockpit conopy isn't too accurate. The Academy one is much better and can be used for replacing of the Revell one. Especially that there are two variants of it , coming with the Aademy kit.

Very nice. I'm not familiar with that bird.What is the blue patch on the cowl ?
Ed

Y'know Ed, I'm not quite sure what the blue patch on the cowling is either. It was on the decal instructions so I slaped that puppy on there.

ken

Maybe it's where the unit emblem was over painted...? It was ordered in 1943 that usage of unit emblems should be discontinued on the eastern front for the purpose of deceiving the enemy about unit's deployment.

Nice build mate!

Agree completely with Igor and Wojtek: For a good 190A that won't break the bank, go Revell. If you can splash out a bit more, the Tamiya and Hasegawa kits are very nice.
Forget the Academy -A versions (though their -D9s are very nice - almost a perfect copy of the new tool Hasegawas), likewise don't touch the Airfix/ Heller A/F versions. (Can't comment on the Italeri A-8 as I haven't seen it in the flesh)

Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back