1/72 Japanese Airfield, Sentai diorama.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
So a short intro before I get to building, with a couple new additons thanks to my local IPMS club and the gentlemen there, and lots of extra space ;) (you know this "extra space" is a lie as we modellers never have space) my goal is to finish a Japanese airfield diorama with a Sentai (fighter unit) getting ready for its next mission. Here are the kits that could be used,
IMG_0786.JPG

I've got 6 ki-27s, 1 ki-61 and 1 on the horizon :D , 1 ki-46 trainer and 1 ki-46-100-3 (fighter version which came out in 1944 so I'm doubtful it could serve alongside ki-27 ), plus a ki-67, 2 Toyota starter trucks, 1 Isuzu fuel truck. First step finding more info and understanding what can and can't be done within the limits of Japanese air force, army etc. Structure on squadrons (any help would be greatly appreciated from our experts).

This narrows down some issues as I'm looking at possibly picking a Sentai (such as the 68th maybe around 1943) that flew both the ki-27 and ki-61 and possibly making an in transition transfering from the 27 to 61 dio. But this raises many questions, did the Sentai have ki-46 attached to each, and if they did, does each version of a specific plane go with one Sentai or is it completley different.
Here is the extra did a Sentai and a Kogekitai (attack units) etc. Ever share airfields? Finally, did training units use all the above aircraft?

With searching down info and hopefully pming and asking for our resident guru and expert on Japanese aircraft, Shinpachi for guidance I hope this project can be completed by September :)

Thank you all for looking and for any comments or help.

Igor

Last edited:
Here is some information which may help (credit Mark Kaiser, 1997-98, "Unit structure of IJA Air Force"):

The Sentai
A typical Sentai was a single-purpose unit consisting of three Chutai divided into three Shotai (flight) of three a/c each. Together with the machines of the Sentai Hombu (HQ flight) and the reserve a/c, nominally amounting to some 1/3 of the Sentai strength, the total number of aircraft in a regular fighter Sentai amounted to 45.
A few figter Sentai consisted of four Chutai, while most bomber or reconnaissance Sentai numbered only two and totalled up to some 30 aircraft.

In April of 1944 the structure of a Sentai was redesigned. Thus far, a Sentai was a pure air unit, while the maintenance and other ground services were conducted by other, separate units. From now on, they were all incorporated into the Sentai which, in turn, was divided into an air section called Hikotai (air unit) and a ground section called Seibutai (maintenance unit).
The Hikotai itself was divided into Kogekitai (assault units). It was no more than a new, fancy, morale-boosting name of the old Chutai. It didn't stick among the ranks and the Chutai - label remained in use throughout the war. The only practical consequence of this last structural change was the fact that the Sentaicho (the Sentai commander) was now in charge of a larger unit, while the new functions of a Hikotaicho and a Seibitaicho were instated for the command of the air and ground sections.

Flight, maintenance and communication schools acted as separate units with their own specific insignia and names, under the direct command of the Koku Hombu (JAAF HQ). Separate training or second-line units, and also later in the war combat units, were sometimes created within the schools. They were gradually incorporated into the regular structure on a proper level of command, keeping the original names.

Unit..............American equiv.........Makeup........................# of planes..........CO
Shotai...........flight...............................n/a.....................................3 planes...................n/a
Chutai...........squadron.......................3 Shotai...........................9-12 planes...........Captain
Sentai...........group..............................3-4 Chutai.......................36-45 planes..........Lt col/Maj
Hikodan........wing...............................2-3 Sentai + 1 Chutai..110-150 planes.....Colonel
Hikoshidan..air division..................2-3 Hikodan....................300-450 planes.....General
Kokugun.......air force........................2 Hikoshidan..................600-900 planes.....General

Very interesting information :idea:.

A very clear explanation to understand and know the different levels of the great structure of the Imperial Air Force.
Thanks for sharing it windsword!

I want to think that your project, Igor, will be similar to a Chutai? (Or part of it)

Saludos :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

Thank you all for the encouragement and help :)

windswords to the rescue :D wooo, I think you are right Luis, so I guess we are looking at a
Chutai...........squadron.......................3 Shotai...........................9-12 planes...........Captain

So for example the 244th Sentai, 2nd Chutai would be represented by one section of 9-12 aircraft

I've narrowed down a couple possibilities (59th, 68th, Akeno flight School) but will do some more reading on this new update and the differences for Chutais and then update further, just wanted to drop in and say thanks :D

Last edited:
Here is some information which may help (credit Mark Kaiser, 1997-98, "Unit structure of IJA Air Force"):

The Sentai
A typical Sentai was a single-purpose unit consisting of three Chutai divided into three Shotai (flight) of three a/c each. Together with the machines of the Sentai Hombu (HQ flight) and the reserve a/c, nominally amounting to some 1/3 of the Sentai strength, the total number of aircraft in a regular fighter Sentai amounted to 45.
A few figter Sentai consisted of four Chutai, while most bomber or reconnaissance Sentai numbered only two and totalled up to some 30 aircraft.

In April of 1944 the structure of a Sentai was redesigned. Thus far, a Sentai was a pure air unit, while the maintenance and other ground services were conducted by other, separate units. From now on, they were all incorporated into the Sentai which, in turn, was divided into an air section called Hikotai (air unit) and a ground section called Seibutai (maintenance unit).
The Hikotai itself was divided into Kogekitai (assault units). It was no more than a new, fancy, morale-boosting name of the old Chutai. It didn't stick among the ranks and the Chutai - label remained in use throughout the war. The only practical consequence of this last structural change was the fact that the Sentaicho (the Sentai commander) was now in charge of a larger unit, while the new functions of a Hikotaicho and a Seibitaicho were instated for the command of the air and ground sections.

Flight, maintenance and communication schools acted as separate units with their own specific insignia and names, under the direct command of the Koku Hombu (JAAF HQ). Separate training or second-line units, and also later in the war combat units, were sometimes created within the schools. They were gradually incorporated into the regular structure on a proper level of command, keeping the original names.

Unit..............American equiv.........Makeup........................# of planes..........CO
Shotai...........flight...............................n/a.....................................3 planes...................n/a
Sentai...........group..............................3-4 Chutai.......................36-45 planes..........Lt col/Maj
Hikodan........wing...............................2-3 Sentai + 1 Chutai..110-150 planes.....Colonel
Hikoshidan..air division..................2-3 Hikodan....................300-450 planes.....General
Kokugun.......air force........................2 Hikoshidan..................600-900 planes.....General

Very Interesting info on the breakdown of the Japanese air units.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back