Airframes
Thanks for the pic, very useful! Your input is always welcomed and appreciated. As far as the panel lines, they are out of scale for 1/72. I'm just not feeling motivated enough to rework/fill all the lines on the kit though.

I do plan to fill some that are represented by lines that really should just be a row of rivets. The engine cowlings especially will be addressed as I find them a little silly looking with big prominent lines on them. I'm tempted to try the foil method you mention, but for now I think I'm gonna stick with the chain unless it gives me too much trouble later on.
Crimea_River
Thanks! I have weird ideas sometimes.
turbo
Ha! Luckily she was with me on that particular trip, it was her coupon I used.

I count myself lucky to have a creative/artsy gal, so strange items to be repurposed for another use is not uncommon for us.
SANCER
I read through your b-24 thread a while back and revisited it again when you mentioned your foil belts. They came out really nice and I may try it myself some time.
I did test flattening the chain and the results were not good. The width became too wide as expected, but more so the links became distorted and started falling apart. Oh well, was worth a try.

Also, the chain is the exact same size as the kit representations for the waist gun positions, so other than being a hair over scale, the added detail is still an improvement over stock items that have no molded detail. I will show a comparison later in the build.
Gnomey
Thanks!
So, I have been scratching some more items, pics will follow in another post shortly. Most of my modelling time has been taken up by research, some of which has paid off and raising questions in other areas. Most of the problems arise from not enough wartime photos versus not always accurate contemporary restored aircraft. So, I defer to you my knowledgeable friends to help set me straight. My questions are as follows.
1. What is the proper lay out for the plywood floor throughout the aircraft?
2. The crew stations in the nose, cockpit and radio room had sound proofing. I have read that most of this was later removed in the nose and radio room, but remained in place in the cockpit. Where would this sound proofing that was left in place be located? Also, was this a smooth canvas texture or a diamond quilted pattern?
3. My aircraft is a Douglas built Block 30 aircraft, one of the last twelve of Block 30 to be exact. I have read Dana Bell's article several times on the IPMS website and he suggests that some aircraft could have had interior green bulkheads (maybe metal floor areas too?) as opposed to the dark dull green that was specified at the time. Do any of you know when (year, month) block 30 aircraft were assembled at the Douglas plant and what colors were being used there at that time? This one may be a long shot, but figured I'd ask just in case someone does know.
4. The Bombay was finished in aluminum lacquer, does this include the three airframe girders that ran the length of the Bombay, or would they have been primered or painted? I know the bomb racks themselves were left natural aluminum.
Thanks for any help in advance. I know it is a pretty tall order to ask, but you guys are the best to turn to in such matters.
Updates soon.
Chad