1/72 Scale Aircraft Hangar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What era does the hanger represent and what is going in it? If it's 40's I would think it would be dirtier then a current hanger with a warbird in it.

Well, in my mind the hangar is relatively modern, or old but updated, and will house warbirds. As a tribute to my late friend it will be christened the "Phillippe Medard Memorial Aviation Museum" and as befitting the country of his birth it first occupant will be of French origin.

Along those lines the interior floor will be vastly cleaner than the apron outside. I choose concrete gray shades for the interior and cement yellow shades for the apron out front.

Ok, honestly was getting frustrated with my inability to paint a convincing cement surface for the inside of the hanger, and I was not even considering the concrete apron outside! How can this be so hard!!!

A few months later I found THIS video and decided to tried again:

Also, I changed up airbrushs. I packed away my single action badger and hooked up my dual action Paasche Talon for the first time. I was hoping that the gravity feed on this model would eliminate the constant clogging or non-suction of the Badger. (Spoiler alert, so far so good!)

I applied the Tamiya Fine White Primer (this is like the third layer primer) which went on like a dream straight from the spray can(!), then the NATO Black and this is what I NOW have:

View attachment 604100

I find this photo a little confusing, but the top is the inside of the hanger and the bottom is the apron. Next up is the part that usually turns it into crap when I try it. I have to fill in the entire area bounded by the black lines, and a little over, with Tamiya Neutral Grey. I have to cover it in its entirety and yet not so heavy that the black "seams" don't show through. Seems simple enough, but I keep screwing it up...

As someone who tramped around lots of old WW2 airfields in the 1980s its always a surprise to see photos of them in service. Everything was new, faced off and level at the time.

20201222_151753.jpg

I like the look of this, but it may not be to 1/72 scale if you know what I mean. I would think at that scale there would be less variation and more overall unity of color. We shall see...
20201222_151813.jpg

This was the final paint I used and the distilled water worked like a charm! Thanks again!

Looks great Jim. If you continue to feel that there is too much variation, what you could try is to apply a VERY thin overspray of the entire base with a light grey spray. And I mean THIN, like 1 drop of paint in a 1/2 oz. of thinner. Spray that solution evenly from 6 to 8 inches away. Start with just 2 passes and let it dry before going further. The change is very subtle but it can creep up on you to the point where it's too much if you go too quickly. In he end, you may find that the variations have blended in more.

That said, I'd be pretty happy with that base as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back