1/72 Scale Aircraft Hangar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

20201209_161407.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement gents. I really appreciate it.

Well I added the second lighter color, Medium Grey, to the insides of the slabs and lightened up some random hard dark lines and I must begrudgingly admit that it starting to grow on me. Next up, washes...which is another thing I suck at. Any advice will be helpful.

Looks fantastic. Not sure I'd do a wash though. I might suggest that you apply a solution of dark grey or black acrylic mixed with water and dishsoap into the grooves between the concrete panels. Use a fine brush and dab the solution into the groove and allow it to run along the groove.

20201212_153951.jpg

On to the seams between the concrete slabs...

1) Tried the method in the most recent "how to" video I attached and though workable it does not lend itself towards making clean seams, which is what I was going after.

2) On to the method suggested by the man from Calgary. Of the two wet methods I tried i found this one to be the superior of the two. I could actually get this one to flow and cleanup was relatively clean. You can see an example if it in the lower part of the base, which hasn't been started yet. Unfortunately using it on the upper part of the base was a nonstarter as it didn't flow or cleanup as it did on the lower part.

3) Frustration mounting, and out of some desperation, I tried an HB lead pencil...again with only mixed results.

4) Ultimately I used a Fine Point Black Sharpie.

It needs a little touch up, but there it is...

20201219_163239.jpg

Finished most of the touch ups on the hangar floor and now working on the apron out front. (The base has been rotated 180 degrees and the hangar floor covered with copy paper and painters tape.) The seams have been highlighted by airbrushing heavily thinned Nato Black just like the hangar floor, but narrower and with a more feathered edge (I hope). Was planning on finishing up the base, paint wise at least, this weekend but work got in the way. Being on call for work is a double-edged sword. You make more money, but your time is not your own. When something breaks, time to work...no matter the hour.

20201221_163428.jpg

First coat of Vallejo Air Cement. Not bad I think, might add more to lessen the look of the seams. It is hard for me to judge as it looks much different to my eyes than in this photo. What do you think?

Looks great Jim. I was unaware the was a Cement colour. I used Polyscale's Old Cement for early Zeros

Thanks! I am likely using Polly S Acrylic Old Cement as the lighter second color! Just wondering what to use as a thinner...water, alcohol, blue windshield wiper fluid or their own airbrush thinner for acrylic paints. I have heard sooooooo many different view points.

What era does the hanger represent and what is going in it? If it's 40's I would think it would be dirtier then a current hanger with a warbird in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back