1/72 Scale Aircraft Hangar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a wash of the yellow water colour paint Jim. It'll even out the colour and give it a natural look.
It could probably be sealed, after drying, with an artist's sealer aerosol can. These are used for sealing pencil sketches, and will probably be OK on water colour paints - check with your local art store.

Another update gents!

Just finished correcting the warp in the base of the hangar by gluing 1/2" press-board onto the bottom of the original base with wood glue. The pictures show me applying the wood glue (also the type) to the bottom of the original base with a plastic putty knife and weighting it down with a bit of my library! Not a glamorous update, but it had to be done.

Now I have to trim the four side to make the edges smooth...maybe I'll even slap some veneer on there! Any suggestions for the hangar floor color?

Decided to simplify the lighting slightly by nixing the idea of tapering the ends of the fiber optics as an unnecessary step. In the end I figured not much of it will be seen anyway. Getting closer. Stay tuned.

Hell's teeth ! With that weight of books, it'll stick like s**t to a blanket !!
Floor colour I'd do in a dusty-looking grey shade. Not dusty as in dirty, as most hangar floors are kept clean for obvious reasons, but 'dusty' in as much as variating shade. Many hangar floors are actually painted in semi-matt grey paint, which is oil resistant and easier to keep clean, although in earlier years, such as WW2, they were very likely bare concrete.
A standard grey primer undercoat, as used on household woodwork, would do the trick. Once dry, a very light misting, applied with an airbrush, of a light brown / sandy shade will take away the artificial look, and give it a 'scale' appearance.

It is clear that with this burden will stick perfectly!
Jim is a very beautiful project. The floor could be concrete (In blocks or squares) and yellow lines to guide the aircraft into position inside the hangar. (it occurs to me)
Still pending in the process; the lighting make it look very real.

Saludos cordiales compadre!!

Luis Carlos

I figure you guys have been patient enough, so I mocked - up a little preview of what the inside will look like. Without the hanging light fixtures and aircraft that is. I hope you enjoy.

Hey, quick question for you guys. In front of the hangar there will be a tarmac area of poured concrete. What size should those poured areas be? I want to put the seams in between the slabs with an exacto before I paint. Thanks!

It was the paint pot which made me look twice - I thought it was a real hangar at first glance, until I saw the Tamiya paint pot in the second pic. great stuff Jim !
Concrete slabs could / can vary in size, but they tend to be in one of (or a mix of) a series of 'standard' sizes, based on the manageable dimensions of the timber used as shutters when pouring, and the capacity of the concrete mixer, and a rate of flow that again is manageable for the workers laying the slabs.
Approximate sizes (in feet) are 6 x 8, 8 x 10, 8 x 12, 10 x 12, and square slabs in multiples of two feet, for example, 6 x 6, 8 x 8, 10 x 10 and 12 x 12.
Obviously, where space dictates, or where there's an angle, such as a bend in a track, smaller slabs might be laid at the edges (or center), so an area might be made up of a combination of the common sizes, and combining two or three sizes on your base will give a more realistic appearance, and avoid a cen that looks too uniform and artificially 'tidy'.

Users who are viewing this thread