1/72 Scale Aircraft Hangar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Finished Roof Support.JPG

OK, I have finished gluing the main roof supports to the two transverse girders. As you see from post #102, I starting from the outside and worked may way in, alternating sides as I did. Why? Seemed like the thing to do. I am still debating if I'm going to add additional structure to this setup, as the gentleman, that I referenced, did in his 1/48 scale build. I can definitely see the need for it in that scale, but in 1/72 it may be overkill and a time waster.

Overhang.JPG

...and now you can plainly see the need for an elevated work surface. Both ends of each main trestle have a dip at the end that will fit into notches in the wall reinforcement girders.

20160302_053433.jpg

Before I attach the actual roof, I figured I better directed my attention to interior lighting. Terry's advise confirmed my own and I called on the experts at Trainland (www.trainworld.com), in Lynbrook, New York and came away with the set-up you see here. It seems to take the difficulty out of lighting buildings and I think with a little nip and tuck I can make it into something quite serviceable and visually appealing. It's all solid state LEDs and the only complaint that I have is that one of the four lights that I bought didn't work right out of the package! :evil: Oh well. First world problem. Guess I gotta schlep back to one of my favorite childhood haunts. (No kidding. If you had asked me when I was a pre-teen where I would rather go, Disney World or Trainland, odds are I would have picked Trainland! It was that magical! Even today when I look back on the trips made there with my Dad, when they still had a huge mountain train layout in the window, I think: "It doesn't get much better than this". So, go ahead, twist my arm! :lol:)

Incidently, fans of the late HBO series "The Sopranos" will be interested to learn that the scene in which Big Pussy gets whacked was filmed in this very store.

Good stuff Jim.
By the look of those trusses and cross beams, I think there will be plenty of strength in the structure. Once the roof cladding goes on, it will act rather like an aircraft's stressed skin, adding more strength.
Glad you got the lighting sorted. With those LEDs, you could probably add 'lamp shades' to give authentic pools of light, and it should look the biz when all lit up.

Looking good Jim. I too am awaiting the pools of light effect and then having a mini Bogart step out from the shadows with an even minier (screw you spell check) cigarette(working of course) dangling from his lips.

Geo

Jim's going to wait a couple of hours, after feeding them the corn, and then collect some scale sh.... or, of course, a few small drops of greyish-white paint might be easier !
And thankfully, 'scale smell' isn't really possible - the stink of pigeon crap after a rain shower is almost as bad as the sight of a Hippocroccofrog in a bikini !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back