1/72 Scale Aircraft Hangar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Jim.
I agree about the CA or PVA adhesives - to make really sure, a 2-part epoxy, or a single part bonding adhesive might be better, in order to avoid de-lamination at some point in the future. I don't know any 'trade names' in the 'States, but a very strong bonding adhesive in the UK is called 'Evostick', which evolved from the aero industry I believe.
If you decide to use a 2-part epoxy, it should be spread thin (same with the 'Evostick') to prevent uneven contact, and 'lumps' in the outer surface, but test it on some spare or 'scrap' material first, as some epoxy adhesives generate some heat when curing, which might effect the plastic parts, though probably unlikely.

And the CA does sound good too? The joint has to be more of elastic type without shrinking I would say. The CA glue and the epoxy adhesive give more hard joint that can get shrinking and fissure for some time . And this can cause cracking of the paint and peeling off what is nothing more like destroying of the joint and taking all parts apart.

All good advice, and I even contacted Noch directly:

Dear Mr. Nicoletti,

Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in our products.

To fix the Item Ref. 55802 you can use a normal household glue, for example a UHU glue or something like this one.

Best regards

Gina Gajer
Auszubildende​

In the end I consulted the Liquid Nails website and after answering a bunch of questions it suggested the perfect adhesive.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find it so I used this! :lol:

20160627_200523-1.jpg

Used the whole tube and managed to get all four walls faced in "brick". The last one is drying as I write this. The front and rear walls still need the windows cutout which will be the next job.

One think that has me concerned is the possible warping of the walls due to either the glue curing or "natural" warping of the brick facing. Time will tell...

Last edited:
OK. I just realized that I skipped some pictures here. I'll add them to my previous post when I get to it. Anyway, on with the show!

Pretty happy with the whole brick cladding so the next step is to cut out the window frames and add the "glass". Again I was a bit stumped as to what adhesive to use. I needed something to bond heavy gauge paper to clear styrene. Obviously CA was out due to the possible clouding issue, I guess I could have used regular old Elmer's white glue, but I was concerned about the excess bleeding out onto the clear plastic and the possibility of scratching the styrene as I tried to remove it. I thought I has a winning product when I heard of PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) but in the end it was too expensive when I finally did find it. Ultimately I ended up using a can of spray adhesive (see picture below) that I remembered I had I a closet downstairs. It was pretty old and took some fiddling-about to get it to spray somewhat evenly, but it worked. If I had to do it again perhaps I would have bought a fresh can as the clean-up afterwards on the window frames is a little tiresome. Little blobs and strings of glue, but at least it's finished...or almost. Still a bit more cleaning to do.

20160705_205614.jpg

The Styrene I used was your typical Evergreen stock that I imagine is available anywhere...

20160706_193815.jpg

...I sprayed the rear of the window frames with the adhesive and carefully laid the frames along the edges of the styrene to minimize the amount of cutting I had to do. Pretty happy with the results (see below), though as I said there is still some cleaning up to be done, especially to the walls!

20160706_194319-1.jpg

Front (top) and rear (bottom) of hangar shown above. Now where in the hell did I put the sides? Seriously...I can't find them! Damn!!!

Looking great, im glad to see that the progress is coming along with this beauty, also glad to be back to observe it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back