1/72 Scale Aircraft Hangar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

20161029_085020.jpg

Another update for my forum amigos.

Finally figured out how I'm going to correct the kink in the front wall (see photos) and mount an upper track for the hanger doors. More on that at another time, this update is mostly about working towards finishing the base. Along those lines I found the following article from the web, that when modified to my specific conditions, very helpful.

Antrvm Ratvs - KISS display bases

Unlike on the authors bases where the tarmac is plastic sheet, mine are heavy paper stock, so a bit of prep needed to be done before I could scribe in the concrete joints and cracks. I sprayed the entire base with several light coats of white sandable automotive primer (see photo for exact brand) in two separate spraying sessions, 24 hours apart, sanding it after each session with 320 grade sandpaper. When that was done I had a nice firm surface to work with. I ignored the article authors admonishment to scribe the concrete panel joints very irregularly, insisting as I would that any contractor that works for me pour concrete not only neatly, but in 12.5' x 25' sections as my research indicated was the best size for longterm durability. (Seriously, I actually researched this. Is it any wonder why I never actually complete anything?) After all the scribing was done to my satisfaction, it was time to lay down some paint.

Again ignoring the paint shade order suggested by author for no good reason, I laid down 3 different acrylic concrete paints with my Badger single action airbrush. First the entire base was covered with Polly Scale Concrete, then the centers of each panel where lightened with Polly Scale Aged Concrete and finally the edges where defined with the darkest shade of all, Vallejo Model Air 71.131 Concrete. This, as I said, is kind of a reverse of what the author of the article suggested and in fact all I have ever read on the subject...and yet I still can't tell you what my motivation for doing it this was. Anyway, against all odds, it looks the part! I'm not finished with it yet, but at this point what do you guys think? Be honest.

20161029_085048.jpg

20161029_085214.jpg

20161029_085226.jpg

Attachments

• 20161019_155945.jpg
    20161019_155945.jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20161029_095814-1.jpg
    20161029_095814-1.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
So you need me to mail you some amigo? :lol:

By the way, can anyone suggest a gloss and a flat coat to put over water based paints?

It's looking good Jim. On the 'concrete' areas outside the hangar, dirty it slightly, and perhaps add a crack here and there.
A light rub-over with some powdered water colour paint, or a suitable coloured pencil, which has been sanded to obtain a powder, will do the trick.
Also, for an overall 'dulling down' and dirt, a very light misting of a darker shade, sprayed unevenly from a distance, will make it look very realistic.
For the clear coats, artists acrylic varnishes, in spray cans, should be OK, but do a test first.

Looks good Jim, though, honestly, I would have toned down the dark areas around the edges.

The concrete seams would almost always be in a grid pattern. A contractor would form and pour the apron in a checkerboard or stripe pattern. Once the concrete cured on, say, the "black squares", the forms are removed, expansion foam secured to vertical faces of the new slabs and then the "white squares" are poured - no form work needed. Alternatively, long strips can be poured but the same principle is used where alternate strips are done, leaving the in-between ones for after the first ones are cured.

Last edited:
I can see what you mean about the dark edges. I guess I'm so happy that I got it 80% of the way there I kind of didn't want to muck things up trying to make it 100%. On the other hand I won't grow as a modeler if I don't keep pushing right? I guess we'll see.

Interesting info about the pouring of concrete. Sound like a very efficient way of doing things. Thanks for that.

Last edited:
20161031_130849.jpg

Had to enlarge the hanger door track in the hangar base at either end to accommodate all four door sections when they are fully open. Have to get some primer down in each of the two rectangular cut-outs to eliminate the fuzziness of the paper at the bottom.

Also, removed one side of a 12" length of K&S square brass tubing on a belt sander in the garage to make it a channel. This will be attached to the top of the hanger door opening to both add rigidity to the front wall (correcting the kink seen in previous photos) and to hold the upper part of the hangar door slides, which have been trimmed to size but need to be cleaned up before they can be painted with the sandable white primer mentioned earlier.

20161127_171107.jpg

All seven different segments of brass have been cut (from channel), and test fit. These parts will stiffen hanger front wall, act as upper track for sliding hanger doors and dress the main hangar opening. Must now do final surface finishing with sandpaper and clean with alcohol and cotton balls. After that I will spray with white sandable primer and mount to hangar.

20161201_115634.jpg

Bought this to add as hangar clutter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back