1/72 Scale Aircraft Hangar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

20161221_122413.jpg

Brass parts mounted to cardboard with double sided tape and spray painted with white sandable primer.

20170208_163118.jpg

All pieces mounted with CA glue. Though it may not look it from the picture, but the white of the brass pieces are cleaner and brighter than the window frame above. May have to fix that... Anyway it's not perfect, but the building inspector passed it none the less. The eight part hanger doors can be mounted closed or opened. They are white...any suggestions for another color?

20170208_163132.jpg

Rear wall mounting pins installed and holes to accept them in the base drilled. Also the interior framing has been glued to the wall, same as both sides...

20170208_163220.jpg

...rear of back wall has both window frames mounted. Note: All window frames sandwich clear plastic between themselves and the walls they are attached to. The side wall still need this to be done, but haven't yet because there is some filing that needs to be done to to top of each one to get the roof to mount correctly. See below...

20170203_213524.jpg

Following the arch of the roof from the frame and we see that not only the wall provided but the brick application will interfere with the roof when mounted.

20170203_213519.jpg

Another picture to give you a better idea of what I mean.

20170203_213438.jpg

The angled pencil line indicates how much I need to remove with a file of knife along the whole to of each side wall to get rid of this interference issue. Seriously not looking forward to having to do this but what can you do? Anyway, after this is done to both side walls I can clean them up and adhere the widow frames to each.

I hope you enjoyed this post.

Last edited:
I didn't think about that Terry. Unfortunately though that would mean adding to the top of the brick face in the front and back...hmmm...

Not really. If the edge of the roof overlaps the top of the wall, which it should unless there's a gutter run, then the roof will lay flush with the curve, and either butt onto the top of the wall, or overlap a fraction.
But first, use some card to simulate the roof panels, and see what the fir is like, before doing any mods.

Another way would be to put the roof structure a little bit up ( if not glued ) and/or move the walls more inside ...

The roof grate taken up ... however it will result in changings to the hangar height. And this will result in changings of the dimensions of the front and back walls too.

roof1.jpg

If side walls would be going to be moved inside the endings of the roof arches should be trimmed off at least as the yellow rectangle showes.

roof1a.jpg

Because both corrections don't seem to be easy to make , the tapering of the top edges of the side walls seems to be the best way for getting the roof covering attached properly though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back