1/72nd short sunderland by airfix

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good Bob. As for cutting out parts - it'll have to be done as a permanent feature, you won't be able to have 'lift off' panels. This should have really been planned and marked out before construction began, then cut, ensuring the cuts were away from location points of bulkheads and other internal fittings.
But, if there are areas where cuts can be made now, before joining the fuselage halves, then these can be marked, holes drilled at the corners, and then saw cuts made between the holes. The cut edges can be painted red afterwards, to make things neat.

i was going to put the lift out panels in the opp side of where i'm fitting all the detail Terry,is it easier to drill holes 1st and then cut out with a stanley knife or is there another way so i can get a very thin cut

Hi Bob

I know you have painted the internals (and this information always comes after
you finished) the attached photo will give you some idea of what the actual colours
of the Short Sunderland are, if you are interested
Sunderlandpic.jpg

The lower flooring plates from the The toilet/Gun/Cloak room to the rear deck is a blue grey
colour as per photo
DSCF2801copy.jpg

The flight deck decking is RAF grey green

Hope that helps

Alan

Good photos.
Bob, A 'Stanley' knife will be too heavy, with a fairly course cut. The best tool would be a razor saw, and the cut edges can then be trimmed (if required) with a new blade in a scalpel, before fine sanding. It would be best to do this before joining the fuselage, but be aware, the areas of plastic removed are unlikely to fit back in neatly - perhaps think of cementing in clear panels?

cheers Terry,i'm in no hurry with this one so i will very carefully think up a cunning plan before i make any cuts,thanks very much for the colour details i have now changed this to how it should be as per your instruction,pics to follow shortly,does anyone have a detailed drawing of the interior showing where all the compartments are and whats in them,thanks everyone

,does anyone have a detailed drawing of the interior showing where all the compartments are and whats in them,thanks everyone

Hi Bob

There are't really any detailed drawings that you could pull off the net that will give you
a detailed interior shot. Also it depends on whether you want to model and Early production
Mk III with out ASV Aerials, or a later one with Aerials. Reason being as the addition of the ASV changes things some what on the flight deck. The drawings you do find are often wrong or incomplete.
If you are able to give me day, I can put something together for you outlining what where?

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan that would be great,she is going to be a Sunderland 3 with the external aerials using the markings from the original kit as I'm using the complete white ensign detailing sets,the only thing i haven't decided at present is to whether I'm going to just build the aircraft as is or as a diorama at its mooring, I've never done anything like that before so I'm not sure if i can carry it off,my airfield layout in the loft[if i ever get time to start it]was going to be my learning a new skill project as it would be out of the way if i made a mistake,very different from rebuilding classic cars or making new stained glass windows at work

bob7229.jpg

bob7230.jpg

bob7236.jpg

bob7234.jpg

bob7233.jpg

bob7232.jpg

bob7240.jpg

bob7241.jpg

bob7242.jpg

bob7243.jpg

bob7244.jpg

tonights progress,internal colours corrected as well as new forward bulkheads fitted as well as the dashboard in the cockpit,hope you like it

Looking good Bob. One thing though - the photos posted of the interior show the mid section in painted silver, with the floor panels in the blue-grey.

thanks Terry,my computer colour doesn't show that very well,an easy fix at this stage,is it a dull or bright silver,blue or grey

Hi Bob
Apologies this took a bit longer

I have annotated a copy of my Sunderland III to give you a general idea The Mk III and Mk V were quite similar
in the internals with the exception of the Beam gun postions)
FILE0108copy1_zpsebea30ea.jpg

As you can see its quite busy all over

First off there need to be a bulkhead where the steps are from bow to flight deck
102_0013.jpg

The right side leads to the lower deck
Door on right is entry to toilet
Image009-1.jpg

Entry to lower deck Looking from Ward room)
DSCF2753copy.jpg

Note the bunks for sleeping and folding table in centre

Galley
Sink/Bench/Stove - Note also the drouge storeage (x2 one on either side of Galley)
DSCF2755copy.jpg

Other side of Galley, note Ladder from galley to flight Engineers position

Bomb bay
Bomb trolly
DSCF2759copy.jpg

Bomb Bay door travel rails
DSCF2758copy.jpg

Rear decking (note this is a Mk V so ignore beam gun positions) note work bench etc
FILE0082.jpg

Upper Rear deck (above crew rooms)
DSCF2772copy.jpg

Oven/Church Door (leads to flight deck)
DSCF2774copy.jpg

Flight Engineers station and Equipment rack
DSCF2779copy.jpg

Flight Engineers station
DSCF2780copy-1.jpg

Navigators Station In front of Flt Egn station
DSCF2783copy.jpg

ASV station (behind Second pilot (Starboard side)
DSCF2785copy.jpg

Wireless station (behind first pilot Portside)
9eb72826.jpg

Bow section Note mooring bollard if doing a water mooring scene
DSCF2741.jpg

DSCF2744copy.jpg

Note if you have any questions about equipment or such just let me know

Regards

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back