1/72nd short sunderland by airfix

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
Following on from my asking for details/pics here is my attempt at building one these beautiful machines in model form,i will be doing this in full detail using detailing kits and scratch build items,i have had this kit for over 30 years,pics to follow shortly

bob6409.jpg

bob6407.jpg

bob6410.jpg

bob6413.jpg

bob6406.jpg

I'm going to use the detailing kits from White Ensign models as a starting point for detailing,

pic 1 shows the old airfix kit box
pic 2 shows basic assembly to check panel gaps
pic 3 shows the bulkheads and floors being fitted into the fuselage
pic 4 shows the bomb bay

hope you like progress so far

its very easy Evan,i've found that if you use a stanley blade as a guide on the folds you get a nice edge,but it takes a few light coats of paint to get a good coverage

Man, that takes me back! I had every Airfix kit I could find back in the '50's and early '60's, and the Sunderland was my favorite. Took me a month to build it with only a little cut for fit work. More pics please!

me too,i still have some but my main collection was stolen back in the early 90's

bob7223_zps5a0d3458.jpg

bob7036_zps85039349.jpg

bob7050_zpsfc0b3e3c.jpg

bob7038_zps5eb6d2d3.jpg

bob7225_zpsbcc9fbde.jpg

bob7010_zps966e1565.jpg

bob7149_zps5bd12942.jpg

bob7148_zps49ee88cb.jpg

progress so far showing the painting and detailing of the interior and some of the internal part being made including the radio and radar sets,i've also added a lower deck floor for the crew quarters/galley and bomb storage,i'm thinking of trying to add some internal ribbing to the main fuselage not that you will see it although i'm playing with the idea of cutting out sections that can be removed to see the detail,any tips would be appreciated on how to do this without ruining the effects

Users who are viewing this thread

Back