1/8 Mig-3 But not really.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for that. You have been an inspiration and absolutely a confidence booster.

"And that's a fact, Jack." A line from the movie "Stripes."

Now I have to hunt down some semi-gloss 2K clear in an aerosol can.

Blacklist

Well, A modeling friend sent me a link to a Company that sells auto products and offers a semi-matt 2K clear.

How matt could that be if it's semi?

So, I purchased two cans and will have them shortly.

I do have to airbrush exhaust stains on the fuse a ways at the exhaust exits, and that's about it before I clear except for a bit of masking.

I'm excited!

Blacklist

... How matt could that be if it's semi?

The semi-matt or semi-gloss menas that the varnish should be something between the matt and gloss. In other words the ratio can be 50/50% basically. If you look at many pics of the MiG-3 fighter you can notice these were quite shiny what suggests using of gloss colours. In fact these were semi-gloss or semi-matt if you wish. The shining depends on the kind of material ( metal, wood ) it was applied on , on a kind of a primer and the number of a dope layers.

Wurger,

As you suggested, I believe this semi-matt or semi-gloss is the correct choice.

High gloss is not what this model is all about.

I should have the clear mid week.

Blacklist

I'm ready to paint that exhaust collection/stain area on the fuselage.

Simply spray black, done!

Or do I layer a color or two.

I'm sure the stacks need blackening also? Maybe not the first one.

Blacklist

Wurger,

I have my semi-matt clear, finally.

OK, what is a good idea?

Dragging the dry brush or airbrushing that exhaust area?

Blacklist

The dry brushing of the exhaust pipes. For making of the exhaust stains you may use the airbrush. But you should do that without exaggerating methinks.

Wurger,

OK,I'm thinking you mean NOT to make it look like it was done with an airbrush, correct?

Blacklist

Nope. The "dry brush" technique for the exhaust pipes is better than the airbrushing. It is better because these are the small pieces rather. But the exhaust stains on the fuselage can be done with an airbrush. However it's up to you what way you can decide to choose.

Wurger,

We should talk about this over lunch.

OK, dry brush the manifolds and airbrush the fuselage area. Correct?

Have I got it!?

Blacklist

Wurger,

What a guy! Always to the rescue. And it's appreciated. Thank you.

Understandable. My guess is, because of the heat of the exhaust it wouldn't blacken as much or collect as much as with the fuselage are?

So, both those areas the overall appearance would be different.

Correct?

Blacklist

Usually these exhaust pipes were made of steel. These could be painted painted black or left in natural metal finish. In many pics of Mig-3s these seem to be dark painted. It is possible the black colour got the rusty colour because of rain, snow etc... generally due to the water. The fuel might have left a light-grey with some of black deposit on the pipe outlets. The area with the exhaust stains looked differently of course. I would say these areas were washed up by maintence crews. Anyway some of the black there can be applied. Just have alook at pictures of the Mig-3s

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread