1/8 Mig-3 But not really.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Blacklist

Airman 1st Class
Apr 17, 2015
Florida
John, a great model builder BTW, find John's Mig-3 build over at this link,
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/-2...ck-12-allied-manufactured-aircraft-42858.html

suggested I do a build. He had no idea my model wasn't 1/32 or 1/48 scale and plastic. It's actually 1/8 and semi-scale.

My goal is to get insight on how I should go about painting and detailing this balsa wood model.

Yes, I have a few skills, but I have never detailed a model to the extent I see you talented modelers have!

I seek and hope to obtain only a small piece of the outstanding abilities I see in this Forum.

With help and suggestions, I might just be able to pull this off.

Here's my scheme the a few photos of the construction of the model.

Thanks in advance,

Provie

2_2.jpg

DSCN6388.jpg

DSCN6450.jpg

DSCN6998.jpg

DSCN8846.jpg

DSCN8821.jpg

Wow... I had no idea! That is REALLY cool! I'm assuming this will fly? For a balsa model, you've got excellent details... the fuselage intakes and cockpit work looks great!

Hey! Hey!

John!!

Thanks for stopping in. I'm here because of you!

Your idea for the Build.

I just tried to post more text and photos and the Forum froze! Couple of times it's happened.

Hope this works.

Yes, I will fly the model. It's 50" in span.

Here's the gear door rivet detail I did in my software. These rivets will be cut from color vinyl and be applied to the gear door. Here's the thing. The rivets will be raised. So I'm thinking of using different color vinyl rivets for each color area. Paint will be applied over the rivet and when lightly sanded with 600, the rivet color will show through.

I could use suggestions on this?

Hope I can get these photos in?

DSCN8757.jpg

DSCN8892.jpg

These other photos won't go away?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have removed these already posted pictures. So no double shots here.

It works if you click the Edit Post and/or Go Advanced buttons and then the Manage Attachment one you can find scrolling your screen a little bit down . Each of attached pictures to a thread ( showed in the bottom line of the upload window ) has two small squares at the top, right corner that appear when moving the mouse coursor over the corner. The left one is with the question mark while the right one with the "X" is for deletation. Click the button and you will be asked "Are you sure that you wish to delete this asset?". By clicking the OK button you can delete the chosen pic. When an image is removed you can close the upload window and have to hit the Save Changes button I'm sure you know what for. Hope it helps.

Wurger,

Thank you for clearing that and I appreciate the explanation.

I would never post double photos deliberately.

I'm here for help and guidence in getting this model detailed, I'm not here for my ego.

Guaranteed I learn plenty keeping an eye on these fine modelers. John for sure!

Thanks again,

Provie

Question... why do you want the colors of the vinyl rivets to show through? On most WWI planes, the rivets were metal like the rest of the surface of the plane and were painted over. You've done some excellent research on the MiG-3... the cockpit looks very accurate!

Very interesting project Provie. I can see that you're doing with all authority. I congratulate you for the great work on your Mig.
The great support, tips and expertise will be receiving from colleagues in this forum, will take you to a successful conclusion with this beautiful aircraft.
The scale thatare handling will let you do all the details you want !!

It remains for me to sit and enjoy the show. :popcorn:

( Take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum )

Saludos cordiales :thumbup:

Luis Carlos
SANCER

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the welcome and the replies.

The rivets. Most every plastic model I'm attracted to has all the rivets in one color or another.

I'm guessing the modeler does a wash and the paint settles into the rivet holes?

It's a great look. I have some downloaded photos I can post of a few 1/32 Mig-3's detailed really nicely.

I don't have rivet holes. I will attempt to cut them in my cutter. I've made samples so far, .07 in diameter.

I can make them any color. If I paint the area where the rivets are, then paint again the final color. Sanding with 600 would expose the first sprayed color then the color of the rivet.

Layman's weathering? I'll do a test sample.

This model is already a tad overweight for it's size. Paint adds weight quickly so I can't afford errors.

Just so that everyone knows... Blacklist=Provie. I think I understand about the rivets. When you said "color", I was imagining bright red or deep blue rivets. Dark rivets to contrast with the camo finish... I can see how that might work. Manually placing and gluing a bunch of rivets seems to be quite a chore though. Have you thought about using a some sort of circular die (small diameter metal tube) to punch an impression of a rivet onto the landing gear door?

I'll be cutting the rivets in my plotter/cutter. .07" in diameter. I hope.

This is why I did the rivet layout.

All the rivets on those gear doors will go on in two or three pieces.

One piece if I don't put a raised panel on the gear door.

Yes, I'm Provie and Blacklist. Bummer.

OK, So Provie is no more. I cannot and won't be receiving PM's or E-mails at Provie. Yes, sad but true. I can live with it. :)

Blacklist has all offerings. Blacklist works. PM's and E-mails. I think. I'll recheck.

I'll still respond to all modelers showing an interest in my project, even though it's far from scale.

I would like to thank all of you who have responded so far. Thank you for the interest and input.

Blacklist, AKA Provie

Understood and heard.
I´ll like to see those rivets. And in general as you keep your Mig detailing.

Saludos Blacklist :thumbup:

SANCER

Users who are viewing this thread

Back