Kawasaki Ki-3 type 93

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Viking1066

Tech Sergeant
Jul 19, 2021
WI
Started cleaning this up today. What a nightmare!
20240329 Kawasaki Ki-3 1:48 Choroszy Modelbud.jpg

The cleaning involved and trying to figure out what minuscule part is what. Broke two pieces and used my parts box to replace them. It frustrated me enough to put all kits away until tomorrow. It's going to look gorgeous when I finish it.

Started cleaning this up today. What a nightmare!
View attachment 771369
Type 93 What? Using Type number is almost meaningless as it ONLY refers to the year. (in this case 1933 in the Gregorian calendar). - Army - Long Type and Model Number system
The first part of the designation was a two-digit type number based on the Japanese year in which the aircraft entered service. A minor exception was the year 1940 (2600), for which the type number 100 rather than zero was used. This was followed by a description of the aircraft's function.[7] If there were two or more aircraft with the same type and function, the latter was enhanced to further differentiate them. An example is the Type 2 single-seat fighter (the Nakajima Ki-44) and the Type 2 two-seat fighter (Kawasaki Ki-45).

Navy - Long Type and Model Number system
After 1929, aircraft types were given a type number based on the last two digits of the Japanese imperial year (which is counted from the mythical founding of Japan in 660BC by Emperor Jimmu). Added to this was a brief description of the aircraft's function. The Mitsubishi Zero was so-called because entered service in 1940 which was the Japanese year 2600, thus it was designated Type 0 Carrier Fighter.

Model numbers were added to show subtypes. By the late 1930s these were two digits, the first being airframe revisions, the second engine revisions.
The system was abandoned in 1943, when it was decided that it gave away too much information about the aircraft.
Major modifications (such as a different engine) were indicated with a subtype number, officially in kanji but often in Roman numerals. Small-scale modifications (such as armament) are indicated with a Japanese Kanji ordinal from the Heavenly stems:- ko (甲), otsu (乙), hei (丙), tei (丁), bo (戊), ki (己), which equate to:- a (first), b (second), c (third), d (fourth), e (fifth), but are NOT direct translations. The character "kai"(改) was used if the modifications were large but not enough for a new type number.

Hei, I have a feeling you're not new to playing with these blocks. Choroszy Modelbud is rather for advanced modelers. Each model is unique, difficult, but the result will also be unique. If you encounter damaged parts, contact the manufacturer. I have no doubt you will get a replacement. I received it without any problems. Good Luck

Hei, I have a feeling you're not new to playing with these blocks. Choroszy Modelbud is rather for advanced modelers. Each model is unique, difficult, but the result will also be unique. If you encounter damaged parts, contact the manufacturer. I have no doubt you will get a replacement. I received it without any problems. Good Luck
You are correct. It was very difficult cleaning the parts. I was going to start on it, but the Ki-9 and K5Y1 both consumed my time this week. Ran out of preferred paint for the Ki-9 (had to reorder), so switched over to the K5Y1. I have built over 85 kits the last four years, but none was made out of resin. I am sure it will be more than the usual work.

Primed and started on the interior. I love the way the resin takes to the paint. Quite different from the usual kits. I found a nice diagram where the rigging goes, so will mark locations where it's to be placed.
20240420 painting interiors.jpg

The insides went well. I was looking at the wheel supports and see that's a bloody mess. Spindle thin legs like sticks at funky angles to attach the wheels. Drilled the holes for the rigging, which was quite easy. Wings will go on and that's it for tonight. Took forever to paint the interior. Shame you cant barely see it.
20240421 sealed.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back