1/8 Mig-3 But not really.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well... what effect do you want to achieve then? Do you have any example of a plastic model with that one?

I had this photo as a guide and tried to copy the look with the vinyl template I made.

Started out fine till the edges and rivet holes looked to sharp and preonounced.

If a framework is covered with fabric material, you wouldn't see pronounced rivets or sharp edges of the frame work.

I don't believe so?

I did a bit more and will post the photo.
IMG_8001_zpsvhl8rktg.jpg

I can live with this, kinda. Probably hit it with a thinned white final layer in the areas of the framework. The rudder is white on the model I'm doing.

Think that last bit of white is needed?

Also, that black trim tab line? Dial it down to a shade of gray? Same with the black area against the rudder?

Think the black is a bit strong?

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I understood. As I had mentioned it before, the rudder of the plastic model had the relief exaggerated. In fact the rudder fabric skin was much more tightened with no rivet there.

Anyway I would say it is fine now judging by these images above.

I don't know.

Overweathered?

Edges of colors aren't soft?

Still doesn't look right?

Possibly when the fuselage and vert stab get painted it will take on a better appearance?

Blacklist

Do you have a photographic detail of what it should look like ? Bit hard to be super critical because i dont have a good idea of what is being replicated

Do you have a photographic detail of what it should look like ? Bit hard to be super critical because i dont have a good idea of what is being replicated

Parsifal,

All I have is this rendering that has no weathering and is a bit soft in pastals.

2_2.jpg

And this photo from on line.

MiG-3%20CT+SV.jpg

Fubar,

Yes, a bit of help. smoother than the plastic kit rudder.

I did paint the underside today. Three hours of masking for ten minutes of paint. An old story.

DSCN9185.jpg

Thanks for the replies and interest.

Blacklist

Last edited:
well, what you have are timber ribs over which a fabric skin has been applied and then a stiffening or tightening dope to make it taught. You are going to be able to see those ribs but the detail is not as pronounced as perhaps thought. Definately no rivets. That black vertical strip doesnt seem to serve much of a purpose either.

Sorry I could not help more than that.

Surely there is someone with a good working knowledge of captured MIG-3s.......

Parsifal,

I kinda like that black stripe.

I'm kidding!

The stripe will be painted over. Fuselage is green.

Blacklist

Gnomey,

Thanks for the boost. I've visited the UK and ran a Morgan for 30 years, a 1965 +4.

Here's more of the yellow. I'm cutting .07" rivets.

Blacklist
DSCN9187.jpg
DSCN9188.jpg
DSCN9189.jpg
DSCN9190.jpg

Wurger,

Thank you. Now tell me the truth. LOL.

I didn't apply vinyl to ares of framework detail before I painted the model's yellow bottom. A mistake.

So, These vinyl pieces were cut then painted. Unnecessary paint has to be removed or it will stick to other painted areas and be an issue to remove.

I think I'll do an oil wash over all rivet and structual areas to bring these detailed areas out a bit.

Blacklist

DSCN9192.jpg
DSCN9193.jpg
DSCN9194.jpg
DSCN9196.jpg
DSCN9197.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back