120(NEI)sqn (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello
The first post on this wonderful thread.
Just finished reading the book, The forgotten squadron by Rene Wittert.
Rene was a B25 pilot/operations officer in RAAF 18 squadron, an instructor in the US and a lot more. Also a very good friend of Hans Maurenbrecher.
In this book he tells his life from the start as a fighter pilot student at Soesterberg, a test pilot at Fokker, then a civil pilot on dc 3 in Indonesia till the war start and he become an Airforce pilot on the Mitchell.
Lots of facts, pictures and stories about the operations and what happens to the mixed crews and friend pilots during ww2 operations.

If I am correct, the Raaf 18 (B25) 19 (Dacota) and 120 (Curtiss P40) were NEI squadrons with Dutch, Indonesian and Australian crew/ground crew.
It is sad that here in Holland the war against the nazi is better known than what happend in the far east, not only the Airforce but also the MLD (Navy airforce)

So lots of thanks for starting this thread and your pdf. Great work :thumbs

Thanks Nicolaas and welcome to the site mate!
I'll have to get a copy of the book you mentioned, hopefully it's available in English? If your interested here is another book that looks like it would be a good read, its on my shopping list for the new year :)
Adventures of a Flying Dutchman

Thanks Nicolaas and welcome to the site mate!
I'll have to get a copy of the book you mentioned, hopefully it's available in English? If your interested here is another book that looks like it would be a good read, its on my shopping list for the new year :)
Adventures of a Flying Dutchman
Thank you Wildcat.
I do have a copy of RJ Idzerda's book. It is a very good read. I have met mr Idzerda, he was the flag officer (2 star admiral) of the Royal Navy Airforce, and a very good pilot.
He ended his flying carreer on the Neptune, my favorite plane of all times :)
Idzerda was a fighter pilot, while Wittert started as fighter pilot, but flies the Mitchell during ww2.

I do not know if the book by Rene Wittert has been translated. It was first published in 1978
Edit: found this link http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=33302, so it seems that there is only a dutch version of that book.

I wish you all a very happy 2014, with lots of good books.:)

Last edited:
image.jpg

Here's another 120 NEI Squadron P-40 "Wham Bam" from the SDASM archives.

Mark

Hi Wildcat, great piece you wrote in the PDF file! I just wanted to say that my late grandfather was a member of the 120 NEI Sqn as well and he used to tell me all kind of (war) stories from that time. His name is Theo (Dick) Gottschalk and I saw him on one of the pics in this thread.
Keep up the good work and they should never be forgotten as they are a part of Dutch war history.

Regards,

JJV

Hi JJV, thanks and welcome! I see your Grandfather was with the squadron right from the beginning and flew operationally from Meruake. Here are some photo's of your Granddad from the Dutch profile book "Curtiss P-40E/N Part1" by Max Schep and Luuk Boerman. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner right now, so I took photo's of the pics for you in case you haven't seen them before. I apologise for the bad quality. If you don't have it, I recommend the above mentioned book :)

Attachments

• IMG_2248.JPG
    IMG_2248.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2255.JPG
    IMG_2255.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 194
Thanks for the article, Wildcat.

I wonder if anyone have more information about the crew that died in the crash of C-47 Dakota near Mossman on 7 September 1944. Specifically I'm looking for information on my great-great uncle, Bernard van Aken, who died in this crash.

I've been obsessed about him since discovering from my great-aunt in Holland. I even went to visit the war memorial at Cairns cemetery during Anzac day 2017. I hope to visit Mossman Gorge in the future maybe to see where the plane may have crashed.

Hi Graeme, I was very excited to see the release of this book and then I read this review Aircrew Book Review: Bomber Boys - Marianne Van Velzen
The fact the author has used fictional characters to tell the story of 18 squadron has really turned me off from buying the book. If it was a straight up squadron history, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Tell me what you think of it after you have read it.

Hi Graeme, I was very excited to see the release of this book and then I read this review Aircrew Book Review: Bomber Boys - Marianne Van Velzen
The fact the author has used fictional characters to tell the story of 18 squadron has really turned me off from buying the book. If it was a straight up squadron history, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Tell me what you think of it after you have read it.

Hi Andy.

Damn - I didn't realise that. It was an impulse buy at Kmart for $19.
Now looking at the "Author's Note" I see what you mean. A little disappointing, but there are some excellent photos in it.
I'll have a closer look after I finish my current book - "1942" by Bob Wurth.

Cheers.

Reason.jpg

Thank you for the article. Loved the PDF doc with lots of information about the 120Sqn NEI. The Australian component were mostly non flight crew. Mechanics, ground maintenance etc. They included my father Keith Rose LAC. The 120 was Dad's favourite unit, many of the Australian crew were from Sydney NSW, and every year they marched in the ANZAC Day march, in the early 1060's Mum made the squadron a huge banner to march under. Designed on ANZAC day at the post march lunch which was held every year at Bexley RSL in Sydney NSW. By the mid 1980's there was only a few of them left and once my Dad passed away in 1985 my family lost touch with the few remaining Veterans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back