13's.... (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is better than making cane baskets in a nursing home. Looking for 13's.....

img078.jpg

What was the colour of the striped engine cowl on the Fw 190 from JG1 that we found, was it red/black, white/black or yellow/black, I'm trying to find that '13' again....:lol:

As memo serves these stripes were white/black But the checkers could be white/black, yellow/black or red/black.

Found this...

"..In the summer of 1943, checkered patterns were adopted by I./JG 1 for their Fw 190As. The color combinations were to be Black/Staffel color (i.e.White for 1./JG 1, Red for 2./JG 1 and Yellow for 3./JG 1). While the cowl checks were uniform in size/position, second Staffel's checks were in the opposite order of first and third Staffel's. Also documented about this time were solid colored cowls. The White and Yellow cowls have been documented on 1./JG 1 aircraft, so Staffel color may not have been a factor.In early to mid 1944, I./JG 1 began the transition to striped cowls. These were White/Black stripes for all Staffels, and the individual Staffel color was then painted on the spinner. The number of stripes varied among the different aircraft, and their order was often switched (i.e. where a black stripe was applied on one aircraft a white stripe was applied on another)...."

Do you mean the "13"?

Red13_.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A8-6-Staffel-II.JG1-Red-13-Heinz-Bar-1944-02.jpg

Red13.jpg

Fw-190A7-6-Staffel-II.JG1-Red-13-Heinz-Bar-WNr-431007-Germany-1944.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A7-6-Staffel-II.JG1-Red-13-Heinz-Bar-WNr-431007-Germany-1944-0G.jpg

Last edited:
I was curious about this before, if there was a '13' either with squares or with stripes, we didn't find one with squares, but we did find one with stripes though....red and black, if I remember correctly!

Thanks my friend! :wave:

As I'm still looking for that striped nose '13' Fw 190, I'm convinced now that the one we found, can't remember who it was, had red/black striped cowling....

Anyhoo....talking about JG1, this is a map over Holland, innit?

III-JG1-ins.svg.png

Found all of these on the web. First, from the book "Jagdwaffe - Defending the Reich - Vol.5" is this caption..."Fw 190A-6/U12 W.Nr. 410266. 2./JG 11...yellow fuselage band...red stripe...white tail....". It contains the same photo as below, taken from Pinterest. The last two are other interpretations.

jan2.JPG

jan.JPG

jan1.JPG

Jan, have done a check and found a single loss...

26.07.43 Uffz. Willi Kuhn 2/JG 1 KIA, Fw190A-5 W.Nr.410196 "Black 13"

Shot down in combat with four engined bombers near Hattendorf

This is the only Fw190 "13" loss during the period of June '43 through to Feb '44

So in theory this aircraft should have the Red and Black checkerboard marking, the number being black with a red outline?

In theory! ;):lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back