13's....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Asagiri (朝霧 "Morning Fog") was the thirteenth of twenty-four Fubuki class destroyers, built for the Imperial Japanese Navy following WWI. When introduced into service, these ships were the most powerful destroyers in the WORLD. They served as first-line destroyers through the 1930s, and remained formidable weapons systems well into the Pacific War.

1280px-Asagiri_II.jpg

It seems that these two destroyers aren't the same ships. The IJN Wakatake ( ex Kikyo ) belonged to the Wakatake class ( a modified Momi class ) started in 1921 and was launched in 1922 as no.2 ship. The IJN Hayate was the Kamikaze class (also known as the Kiyokaze Class , modified the Minekaze class) destroyer. The class was also started in 20' but only one ship was launched in 1922. The IJN Hayate was launched in 1925 as the ship no.13. The IJN Wakatahe was sunk in 1944 while the IJN Hayate in 1941. Below a diagram comparing the shape of both class ships. The posted pics above show the IJN Hayate in 1925 on trials. The shot of the IJN Wakatake was taken at the beginning of the 20'. However I would say it was taken much later.

SchowIJN destroyer class.jpg

Many thanks for the info my friend! :thumbright:

My pleasure Pal. :)

Regarding the seacond part of your question... why these two ships are marked with the "13". It seems tha the reason for that is the time these pic were taken and the way of marking of IJN ships at that time. The image of the IJN Hayate was taken during her trials. Because she was launched as the no.13 ship therefore the number 13 is there. And this is the very early way of IJN marking of ships. It seems that the reason for the "13" of the IJN Wakatake is different. I think you copied the image from a site where the pic caption says it was taken in 1920, right? It is a mistake there. How the date could be possible if the ship was launched in 1922?
IMHO, the kind of markings of IJN ships appared in 30'. By that time the markings consisted of two numbers painted on broadsides. The first one usually bigger, was applied at the prow while the second smaller one was painte at the centre of broadside. The first number indicated the Destroyer Division while the second one was the individual number of a ship that often was the number gotten while launching. The system of numbering seems to be a llittle bit changed in 30'. The smaller number was replaced with a kind of writing.

Here you are the IJN Kamikaze destroyer ( the first ship of the class launched in 1922). Please note the number "1" at the prow. The ship was the no.1 of the series.

Kamikaze_I.jpg

And here are the IJN Asakaze in 1924 and in 30' and the IJN Hatakaze also in 1924 and 30'. Please note the number 5 of the Destroyer Division for both ships used in 30' but writting looks different. Perhaps the writting could be the ship name. But not sure. The IJN Asakaze was the ship no.3 of the series and the IJN Hatakaze was no. 9.

IJN Asakaze and IJN Hatakaze in 1924
Asakaze_1924.jpg

Hatakaze_1924.jpg

IJN Asakaze and IJN Hatakaze in 30'
asakaze_30.jpg

Hatakaze_30.jpg

And here the group of the Kamikaze destroyers, circa 1926. Please note the two numbers. The right one has the second marking as "15" what suggests the IJN Asanagi. The same , first number is applied for all and indicates the Destroyer Division 29.

Kamikaze_II_class_Oite_group_4destroyers.jpg

OK. I have found the confirmation of my thought that the writing seen on the broadsides ( also on the afterdecks ) was a ship name. Here are these for the Kamikaze destroyer class...

Kamikaze destroyer names.jpg

BTW ... the number of strips on the funnels indicating the number of a ship in the squadron , appears to be not a rule though.

Last edited:
So....can you use the Fujimi, Hasegawa or Tamiya kits, to do the Tanikaze, they all being the same class?

What I mean was....

Fujimi: Kagero, Yukikaze....
Hasegawa: Isokaze, Kagero, Nowaki, Yukikaze....
Hmmmm....I thought that I saw some Tamiya there....
Found them....
Tamiya: Kagero, Yukikaze....
Can you use any of these to do Tanikaze, as they're all Kagero class destroyers?

Last edited:
Jan you just got to check the time frame of what you want to do as some of the gun arrangements changed from early war to late war.

Some had the upper rear 6" turret replaced with a 25mm triple AA gun mount along with numerous additional single 25mm mounts along the decks.

I have 1/700 Yukikaze, Isokaze and Hamakaze for a project i'm doing.

That I will Master Wayne! :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back