13's.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

watch-form-photo.jpg

P-40N A29-572 "Watch my form" of No.78 Squadron RAAF, on Noemfoor Island, late 1944.

P-40N A29-572 served with No.78 Squadron on Noemfoor Island in late 1944. The scheme is based on a photo showing Sgt. D A Smyth about to take off on a dive bombing mission. The "Lucky 13" was written as a temporary marking, possibly for one mission. The cowling with "Watch my form" has been photographed on more than one P-40 and has pale blue lower surfaces. Modellers may add lighter pink highlights to the womans body. Spinner is white with a black cap.

p-40n-watch-my-form-port.jpg

P-40N decals 32nd scale

IMG_20230312_081223.jpg

Just when we thought that there were no more photos of the very early drag races at the Goleta airport in California, master hot rod historian and builder Jimmy Barter comes up with more. The Santa Barbara Acceleration Association held drag races there starting in 1948. Those meets included the first scheduled match race between Tom Cobbs and Fran Hernandez. The drag strip, run on an airport side road, disappeared long ago, but the road and the buildings in the background are still there. Thanks, Jimmy, for finding and preserving our earliest history. (I believe that another master hot rod historian, Todd Olson, was also involved in this photo discovery).

Source: FB

They would.have had to liberate them before May of '42 - perhaps found liberated from Japanese held territory?

That's possoble. But IMHO these were the kites received as part of the Lend-Lease Act. I can see the P-39 ( RAF markings ) , early P-51 ( Mustang Mk.I ) and P-40 (the USA markings) and Hurricane (RAF markings ) . All of them were tested by the TsAGI and then were kept by the institute for learning about foreign technology ( see the P-39 ) and as the display units. The planes were sent together with the Hawker Hurricanes by the British in late 1941 and early 1942. Certainly the US and British national markings were replaced by soviets with the red stars. But I can't see any troble with repainting them again with any. The exibition is dated on 1944. So soviets managed to liberate enough of the paint by that time.

BTW.. the display was a part of the "Бюро новой техники (БНГ) ЦАГИ" - Bureau of New Technology (BNG) TsAGI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back