1918-1939 The eBay finds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Strictly speaking, this picture shows the Desford converted to the Bobsleigh, which was done to investigate prone pilot position flying. This photo shows the Bobsleigh after it was restored to flying condition for the Strathallan collection at Auchterarder in Scotland in the 1970s with its pseudo camo scheme. When originally converted the aircraft wore a civil colour scheme. The military serial was assigned to the original Desford before its conversion to the Bobsleigh. A curious and little known aeroplane.

This aircraft came into my purview many years ago as it was on paper only a part of the museum collection that I worked for, although it never actually got to the museum, only dropping in on its way down to its new owners after the Strathallan auction in 1981. Years later I discovered that it was still in the ownership of the museum and so I had to contact the company that held it, Snibston Discovery Park, Leicester, and advise them to sign ownership away... An administrative error that had existed for years that no one had noticed. It has since been returned to flying condition after sitting in a shed unloved for awhile.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Another great find, though I'm having trouble placing a bid on this one. This is from my never-published book in TransAtlantic flight:

Dates: 9-11 June 1933
Crew: Pilot: Mariano Barberán y Tros de Ilarduya. Copilot: Joaquín Collar Serra. Mechanic: Modesto Madariaga
Aircraft: CASA-Breguet 19 TF Super Bidon Cuatro Vientos (Four Winds). Engine: 600hp Hispano-Suiza 12Lb
Proposed Route: Seville to Camaguey, Cuba
Nation: Spain
Spanish production of the Breguet 19 included a single aircraft configured for long distance flights. In June 1933, three Spanish aviators flew the aircraft – nicknamed Cuatro Vientos – from Seville to Cuba. The flight took just short of 40 hours, and began a celebration of Spanish culture in the former colony. On 20 June, Barberán and Collar Serra took off for Mexico City, leaving Madariaga behind in Cuba. Cuatro Vientos and crew were spotted near Villahermosa, Mexico, then never seen again.

A replica of Cuatro Vientos is displayed at the Museo del Aire, Madrid.

Cheers,

Dana

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Actually , it's the Šmolík-Adamec (Š.A.) prototype.

Czech sources say that the Letov name was introduced in 1926 and wasn't the factory call actually. It was the trade mark at that time. The name was started to be used after the WW2. The prototype made in 1919/20 was marked as the Šmolík-Adamec , the abbreviation Š.A. Therefore the two letters on the rudder. All of them were called Šmolík initially. When the series of the plane was ordered, the Czechoslovakian Ministry of National Defense called them Šm 1 and Šm 2 depending on the engine. But the Air Forces called: the Šm-1 as Š-H-1 for these powered by the Hiero engine and Šm-2 as Š-M-1 powered by the Maybach engine. Because the Aero factory made them under the licence and these were powered by the Maybach engine as well , they got the name Š-M-2. In 1923 it was introduced a new simplified marking: Š-1 for these with the Hiero engines and Š-2 for all these with the Maybach ones. After the WW2 the Letov name was added to the plane marking and it resulted in the Letov Š-1 or Letov Š-2 names used today.

In other words ...

Šm 1 → Š-H-1 → Š-1 ( Military Aircraft Factory ) → Letov Š-1
Šm 2 → Š-M-1 → Š-2 ( Military Aircraft Factory ) → Letov Š-2
Šm 2 → Š-M-2 → Š-2 ( Aero factory ) ....................... → Letov Š-2

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread