1944 -You are in charge!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Originally Posted by ndicki
They may not have had a shortage of engines in theory, but the ones they did have were crap. Not on paper, but in reality.

That did sound like a pretty clueless statement.

Regarding Normandy......I would think that by early July 1944, SHAEF could have considered an amphib invasion into Brittany. The Germans couldnt defend everywhere, and I could imagine Patton leading a few divisions on an end around from here.

The Luftwaffe could have carpet bombed Switzerland's citites. The Swiss didn't have as large an airforce as the English and their country's cities are smaller too. Maybe if all the living dwellings of the Swiss were just a pile of rubble it would have let the German ground forces in their Blitzkrieg take over more easily.

But a waste of time, manpower, and bombs for the Germans. And like Adler said they still had the mountains to fight from. Even if the Germans could manage to establish a Goverment, the Swiss insurgents would have had many places to hide and strike from. Similar to today's wars, I suppose.

They could not have done blitzkrieg through the mountains. Not feasable. Switzerland was a tough nut to crack and would not have been possible. It would be a very difficult task even for todays great armies.

Originally Posted by ndicki
They may not have had a shortage of engines in theory, but the ones they did have were crap. Not on paper, but in reality.

That did sound like a pretty clueless statement.

If you read the rest of the post, you'd have seen that it was not clueless at all. Many of the Germans aircraft and engines were licensed out to producers in occupies/"allied" countries, and sabotage was rife. For example, airframes were delivered with only half the retaining bolts done up fully, causing the aircraft to break up under stress, engines were sabotaged with sand on the production line, and all parts suffered from poor quality materials and workmanship.

Siggi Knoll, who recently rebuilt an Me109g-6 from German and Spanish parts surprised me by explaining that the post-war Spanish parts were of far higher quality than the real German stuff. I had expected the exact opposite.

Clueless?

and there are huge advantages to taking Norway, namely the Fjords in which Jerry could hide ships outside the range of allied bombers..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back