1n 1939 what would your operational airforce look like (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pbfoot

1st Lieutenant
Apr 14, 2005
niagara falls
fighter spitfire mk1
bomber ju88a
ground support fokker g.1
coastal patrol pby4
transport c-47
primary trainer dh 82 tiger moth
advanced trainer at 6 harvard (texan)
carrier fighter mitsubishi a5m4 claude

carrier fighter

Well, it was the only heavy bomber in the world in 1939. Better to have something than nothing. Even if it would have been the worlds first night bomber.

The Lanc didn't even exist - you got to start somewhere.

The choices were limited.

Bf-110
Hurricane
B-17
Bf-109
Ju-88
Spitfire
Ki-27
He-111
Whitworth
Wellington
G3M
P-35
Vega

Like Lanc pointed out they wern't all quite ready yet either. The B-17 needed epenage redesign, There were no P-38s, B-25s, F4Us, F-4Fs even most of the early British bombers were mere prototypes. All the planes mentioned above, in this para., were begining production to meet the light of day in '40.

Hard list to make since it is right on the line where more capable aircraft are about to come out and nobody was quite ready for the war just starting.

wmaxt

wmaxt said:
The Lanc didn't even exist - you got to start somewhere.

The choices were limited.

Bf-110
Hurricane
B-17
Bf-109
Ju-88
Spitfire
Ki-27
He-111
Whitworth
Wellington
G3M
P-35
Vega

Like Lanc pointed out they wern't all quite ready yet either. The B-17 needed epenage redesign, There were no P-38s, B-25s, F4Us, F-4Fs even most of the early British bombers were mere prototypes. All the planes mentioned above, in this para., were begining production to meet the light of day in '40.

Hard list to make since it is right on the line where more capable aircraft are about to come out and nobody was quite ready for the war just starting.

wmaxt
I agree with your comments. I would also agree with the list that you have chosen, it is a good list.

lots of choices polish belgian french dutch russian yugoslovia romania

7 squadron raf was using stirlings fall 39 according to raf website

pbfoot said:
lots of choices polish belgian french dutch russian yugoslovia romania

The reference I have is pretty comprehensive but is limited to planes that made an impact so it is primarily French (the D.520 was '40), US, British, Italian, Russian and Japanese through the war years.

My reference is the Rand McNally Ency. of Military Aircraft ISBN0 517 05655-0.

BTW: I recomend that reference to any aviation buff, it contains charts of entry into service, color plates of both insignia and aircraft to the same scale and by major model complete with Spec blurbs on that model. The book also contains a good description of its history with a three view drawing.

wmaxt

lesofprimus said:
Which country was the dominate force in 1939???? The Japanese??? The Germans???

I would go with the German Luftwaffe and all that they had in thier inventory... They were almost unstoppable in 1939...

Air Force wise the Germans were ahead of everyone but the Japanese had already captured most of SE Aisa by then, making them about equal overall. The Japanese had started and the Germans just starting their war.

Mostly it was a matter of where you were. :(
wmaxt

Fighter Spitfire
Heavy Fighter Me110
Support Bomber Ju88
Heavy Bomber Wellington
Anti Submarine Sunderland

Serious Alternatives
109 for Spitfire. Went with the Spit due to guns and Speed
Fokker G1 for Me110. G1 lost due to speed. It wasn't that fast and a 110 could run from anything in 1939 apart from a Spitfire. plus had devistating firepower for the period.
He111 for Wellington. The Wellington was a better all round plane.

but 1n 39 the 110 was a fighter whereas the g1 was fighter/ ground support with heavy weapons 8 x 7.9 mm and 2 x23 mm cannon plus bombs as opposed to 4 x 7.9 and 2 x 20mm

I am afraid that I cannot find my notes on this plane but from memory the G1 didn't carry 2 x 23 plus 8 x LMG, it was either 2 x 23 or 8 x LMG and most if not all of them carried the 8 x LMG. That said 8 LMG in the nose in 1939 was an impressive amount of firepower remembering that few if any aircraft had Armour or self sealing fuel tanks..
The G1 was very agile and capable of taking on the single engined fighters of the day. I can only say that what made me select the 110 was the speed, dive and additional power of the Cannon. Its a choice

your right i missed the comma in my reference it was 2 lmg and 2 cannon or 8 lmg well ithought i was perfect but am mistaken wheres all the guys with p36

Fighter-Bf-109
Heavy Fighter-Bf-110
Ground support-Breda Ba-65
Main bomber-Mitsubishi G3M
Carrier fighter-A5M4 Claude
trainer-AT6
Coastal defence/torpedoe bomber-SIAI SM.79
Coastal patrol or bomber-CANT Z.506
Fighter/bomber-Ki-27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back