2015 Foto Fest Mk. IV (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now here was a first for me....a Sea Harrier off the grass!

har2.JPG

har15.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Those Harrier shots remind me of an airshow, in the late 1980's or maybe very early 1990's, on the grass airfield of my Aero Club.
A Harrier GR3 was displaying and, as it would conclude it's display in the hover, with the famous 'bowing to the crowd' routine, this had to be done off the center-line of the grass runway, to avoid surface damage from down blast. So it reversed over the adjacent field, about 50 metres from where I sat on the Fire truck, and commenced the routine at a height somewhere between 50 and 100 feet.
Next thing we knew, there was a strange cloud of dust high in the air, with slim objects, apparently fitted with fins or flights, hurtling up in the air, to come raining down around us.
It's very strange being 'bombed' by carrots !!!

The big mess by the Harrier landing was due to an extremely wet runway surface. Geneseo had received up to two inches of rain the day before of the arrival and there was still surface water due to the ground being saturated. All arriving aircraft if they were landing on runway 23 were told to touch down at least 1/3 of the way down the runway. The Harrier just caught the last little bit of dampness and made quite a mess. Unfortunately I was at the opposite end of the airfield so the landing took place some distance away. The Harrier's crew guys were less than pleased with how dirty the aircraft got....lots of extra work on top of the routine post flight stuff,

Anyhow,today's aircraft was caught arriving on the dry end of the airfield.

This B-25 was once the personal transport of General Hap Arnold leading to it's name....Miss Hap

25hap2.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

IMG_0297.JPG

Went to the Thunder of Niagara Air Show yesterday at the USAFR base in Niagara Fall New York. Stinking hot and humid and perhaps the worst alignment for photography of any show I attend. Despite the negatives they had a couple of pretty good draws including this MiG 17.

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back