2018 Road trip

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Change of scenery, these are from another museum we visited. The Erickson museum. Web site as followed.
Erickson Madras | Erickson Aircraft Collection

Below is a Ki-43 model IIIa Oscar of the 54th Sentai, 1st Chutai squadron stationed on Simuysu Island in the north of Kuril Island Chain. Bought by Doug Champlin and restored to flying condition.

DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG

Don't ask me why but always loved the Duck, this one is a J2F-6 with history below.

The museum's J2F-6 Duck was accepted by the USN on 26 May 1945 and served as a pool aircraft at New York, Weymouth, Quonset Point and Chincateage Naval bases. In 1948 it was declared surplus and acquired by the USAF as an A-12A. The American Automotive Company bought it from the Air Force the following year for $727.00. Thereafter, it operated out of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and the United States before becoming part of the museum's collection in 1993 where it received an "in-house" restoration

DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0032.JPG
DSC_0035.JPG

Thanks Jeff and Terry,

How about this one, every one loves a P-38L

SPECIFIC HISTORY
The Lightning on display was manufactured by Lockheed in the spring of 1944 as a P‑38L, S/N 44-27083, and then sent to Dallas where it was converted to a photo recon F‑5G‑6‑LO before being transferred to Tinker Field, Oklahoma. In January 1946 it was dropped from the U.S. Army Air Forces inventory and sold to civilian buyers ending up with Mark Hurd Aerial Surveys of Santa Barbara, California. Bruce Pruett of Livermore, California bought it from Hurd in 1968, essentially for scrap value. In 1990 Jack Erickson acquired it for the museum and in 1995 restoration was started, the first flight being made in early 1997.

DSC_0196.JPG
DSC_0198.JPG
DSC_0205.JPG
DSC_0300.JPG

Another Bf-109 with history as this was originally a Buchon and then converted.

The aircraft, the last variant of Willy Messerschmitt's famous Bf-109 fighter, is a Spanish built version of the Me-109, designated a Buchon HA-1109 (Pouter Pigeon). The fuselage was built in Spain by Hispano Aviation under license acquired in 1943 from Messerschmitt A.G., with the installation of a British built Rolls/Royce Merlin engine in place of the Daimler-Benz. Except for the modification of the exhaust structure and the British engine, it is in all respects as much an Me-109 as a German built original. It was used to represent a German built Messerschmitt Me-109 in the 1969 film, The Battle of Britain.

DSC_0153.JPG
DSC_0160.JPG
DSC_0162.JPG
DSC_0261.JPG
DSC_0263.JPG

Last one for today, will try and add some more tomorrow :)

P-39, I was told this one was expecting a new engine in a couple of weeks to put it back into the air :)

DSC_0215.JPG
DSC_0219.JPG
DSC_02281.jpg

Good stuff paul.
Interesting 'conversion' on the Buchon engine to make it look externally like a DB installation. is that an Allison, mounted the 'right way up', with ducting from the exhausts to get them at the lower level of the inverted DB engine ?

Good stuff paul.
Interesting 'conversion' on the Buchon engine to make it look externally like a DB installation. is that an Allison, mounted the 'right way up', with ducting from the exhausts to get them at the lower level of the inverted DB engine ?

Honesty I am trying to remember, with 7 museums in 10 days plus 4000 miles of road its a blur but will try and remember. But I don't think they said what it was.

It's a Wildskyhellraidercat !!
OK, I give in .................

LOL its a Martin AM-1 Maulers, it lost to the Sky Raider. Only 151 where ever built and only 4 are known to have survived. This one has the unfortunate fate of crashing 3 times already and they are looking to restore it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back