2018 Road trip

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Jeff, yeah it was a busy trip, I still have at least 3 more museums still to show, so far only posting mainly WWII but I do have WWI and jets as well from this trip LOL.

Yak 9

DSC_0114.JPG
DSC_0166.JPG
DSC_0242.JPG
DSC_0244.JPG

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Edit to add: The sharkmouth p40 is by far the best looking fighter of WW2.
Well, there are many here who would disagree.
I can't help but feel that much of the love for the P-40 is based on romanticism as she was outclassed by many of her contemporaries. She performed well everywhere but was never the best fighter, she was just the best fighter available. Clearly the design lent itself to the shark mouth motif better than any other aircraft.

Just my opinion and no more valid than yours my good man.

Cheers,

Jeff

Well, there are many here who would disagree.
I can't help but feel that much of the love for the P-40 is based on romanticism as she was outclassed by many of her contemporaries. She performed well everywhere but was never the best fighter, she was just the best fighter available. Clearly the design lent itself to the shark mouth motif better than any other aircraft.

Just my opinion and no more valid than yours my good man.

Cheers,

Jeff

Yeah I really like the P-40. In fact I haven't posted it yet but I went to the Warhawk museum on this trip as well and even got to sit in one that fly's. I was lucky as they originally told me I couldn't see the one I wanted to see as it was in the maintance shed but when one of guys found out I came from Wisconsin to see it they took my family out there special to see it. As you said the P-40 wasn't the best but your right that shark mouth sets if off as one of the meanest looking.

Not sure right now where my son put his camera, but this is the one I got to sit in as he has pictures of me in it.

DSC_0080.JPG

As I recall Parrothead was an advanced trainer aircraft back in '43 or so down south, Alabama I think.
Parrothead and a sharktooth P-40 are often at the Reno Air races
AVRARUD0141.jpg

Excellent post to date, hoping there is more.

Jeff

Thanks guys and good morning Jeff, yep there is more, I am fighting a cold here and was looking to see if I could find the P-40 Parrot head like the one I sat in or at least close and found this.

From my understanding on how the emblem came on the plane was due to the CO having a pet parrot and he had it painted on the all of his squadron's aircraft.

I also have been trying to figure out if the P-40 in thread #70 paint color used. To me it looks light green instead of a dark green like other P-40's I've seen. Could be lighting and doesnt help I am color blind in certain shades of colors :(

parrot.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back