2018 Road trip

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Paul. Is that 'Bf109E' a strange replica, or cobbled together from a Buchon ?
It has a 'G' canopy and 'G' or Buchon wings / radiators etc.

Good eyes there Terry. Little history of the aircraft.

In 1972, Douglas Champlin began looking for a restorable Bf 109 for his collection. After several fruitless searches, he acquired a Spanish-built Hispano HA 1112 and reconfigured it as closely as possible to the original. Locating a Daimler-Benz DB 601 engine and associated cowling proved impossible, so a DB 605 was substituted.

Modification work was undertaken by Art Williams in Germany. This included not only the engine change, but also redesign of the wingtips and other related items.

The Champlin Collection Bf 109 was manufactured in Germany during 1942 or 1943. It is thought to be one of the original batch of twenty-five aircraft supplied to Spain. All instrumentation is German, and of the identifiable Spanish-manufactured parts, many appear to be identical to the original German versions.

Appropriate to the aircraft's history, the cowling and engine are most likely from Bf 109E J392, the initial Dornier-Swiss-built aircraft delivered in 1945. The Champlin Collection Bf 109 has appeared in several movies, including Patton and Battle of Britain. Currently, the Bf 109E is displayed in the Battle of Britain colors of the noted Luftwaffe ace, Hans "Assi" Hahn.

No problem Terry

DSC_0326.JPG
DSC_0333.JPG
DSC_0340.JPG

Hopefully in a couple of weeks this spitfire will be back in the air. Below is the rebuilt engine. Little over a year ago they found metal flakes in the engine grounding the aircraft till the engine could be rebuilt. As you can see it has been and from the museum staff its suppose to be installed in the next couple of weeks.

DSC_0317.JPG
DSC_0318.JPG
DSC_0319.JPG
DSC_0320.JPG

This picture is the one that blew my mind, I never knew the SR-71 could carry a drone on it back. This one has it in place.

View attachment 489161
That is not an SR-71A. It is the sole surviving M-21 Mothership carrying a D-21 drone, one of two M-21's built. The other one was lost at Mach 3+ when the drone slammed back into the M-21 after launch, which broke the M-21 apart. Both crew ejected safely, but the RSO, Ray Torrick drowned. I have been told more than one story about what happened. The real footage of it happening is on Youtube. Kelly Johnson was apparently so upset with the loss of life that he cancelled the program. Later, the D-21's were launched from B-52's, but needed a huge rocket booster to get the ramjet of the D-21 started. No record of any successful missions, some I've heard over China, exist that I have found.

That is not an SR-71A. It is the sole surviving M-21 Mothership carrying a D-21 drone, one of two M-21's built. The other one was lost at Mach 3+ when the drone slammed back into the M-21 after launch, which broke the M-21 apart. Both crew ejected safely, but the RSO, Ray Torrick drowned. I have been told more than one story about what happened. The real footage of it happening is on Youtube. Kelly Johnson was apparently so upset with the loss of life that he cancelled the program. Later, the D-21's were launched from B-52's, but needed a huge rocket booster to get the ramjet of the D-21 started. No record of any successful missions, some I've heard over China, exist that I have found.

Very cool info as I never seen this before till then. Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back