I have just found this very nice website, it has CAD drawings of the major Spitfire structure elements, very enlightening, especially the wing spars! Check it out!
Great work. My experience with Solidworks is limited. I have Inventor for my work. Are you doing this as a work assignment? or just for yourself?
Added, I should have read before I wrote. I see you are contributing with others to this project. Well done mate. If I had scaled drawings I could do a few things to add. Cheers, Bill
Here is something I built for Combat Flight Simulator. I haven't quite decided on a paint scheme for it yet and haven't finished the flight model. Obviously there are no internals for this plane.
The hardest thing I had to find for this plane was the exact length. There are many contradictory references.
Thanks Guys,
Keep in mind that this entire model for the flight sim only has about 1100-1200 polygons or so. Climb rate so far is way too high at about 4800 fpm. It should be about 4100.
I wanted to build an early Mk.IXc that was basically a Mk.V with a new engine. Carb scoop is the early non-tropical, and rudder is also the smaller version. I had drawings for a Mk.V but the Mk.IX was obviously longer because of the engine. The problem was that I could not find a good length value for that configuration. I also wasn't sure if later Mk.IX didn't have some other extension some place. Eventually I found a drawing with a length that I could work with.