5-10 foot long black streamers behind Fw-190's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On April 9th, 1944 the 352nd FG's 487th Squadron (elements of it) attacked a trio of Fw-190s that were attacking a single B-24 north of Osnabruck.
Then were the 190's shot down and if so, does the Luftwaffe confirm this.

If the records show the three downed 190s, or at least an engagement that day, you can get the ID of the pilots. At least we'd be able to see if they were rookies or not.

My guess is that they were rookies on thier first flight and that B-24 strayed into thier flight...seeing this, they got "Jadgfeiber" and went after it, not having enough experience to keep an eye out for allied fighters...

Look at you guys being detectives, so who's Sherlock and who's Watson?

I ask that question because if 3 FW 190s cant kill a lone, damaged bomber it may very well be their first solo.
There is also a difference between Fw190s...also, were these Fw190s from a flight school, as we are supposing? If so, they would not have the firepower to tear a bomber apart like the heavily armed Fw190A-8s

Chances are, they were older Fw190A-4 or A-5 aircraft, armed with only the cowl mounted MG17s and wing mounted MG151

If this is the case, then these three attacking a lone B-24 would have been like three young lions trying to take on a wounded Cape Buffalo

Those are both good points, also, has anyone found any record of the incident from either side?

The spitfire was likely from an American sqn The pilot listed as missing in action. Defense Prisoner of War/Missing Personnel Office

macr.JPG

Geo

having considered this very carefully, lol, the only possible use for the streamer I can think of is to denote the flight leader for the rookies, yet having more than one flying together seems to defy this?
unless of course the rookies didn't make it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back