625 squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Welcome James. Sounds strange that the Lanc was on a solo mission - more likely to be flying alone, perhaps on the return leg, which was common. But, you never know. The lack of contact from the War Office, although slightly unusual, is not unknown. If the aircraft and crew were posted as 'Missing', then, until absolute proof of the ultimate outcome was received, relatives might not be informed immediately. Also, in many cases, the relatives were instructed not to reveal the loss for around a month, to prevent info on actual losses being received and assessed by the enemy.
Hopefully, Peter (Jupiter) may see this and chip in with any info he might have. Alternatively, earlier in this thread are contact details for the secretary of the 625 Sqn Association, who may be able to help.

according to Bomber command losses, it lists your uncle belonging to 626 Squadron.
It was not a solo OP but a raid on Vierzon

Hi
I have just joined the site
I am looking for anything I can find on a member of TUCKS crew, fl/eng Dean who was my grndfathers step brothers son, complicated I know

Mike 156 on bomber crew forum is your place
If you want more informa tion on final mission let me know

Hi Thanks for your replies.
My Grandfather was P/O F.Collett and was shot down on the 28/29/7/44 over Stuttgart.
Through research and help from many others i believe he was shot down by Uffz. Martin Uhlmann: 4 2./NJG4 .Sadly i have been able to find any info on him other than he survived the war with 5 victories.
As for information i have collated on my Grandfather i have 2 reports from 2 of the crew the night they were shot down. The bomber stream route for Bomber command the night of the raid. Also details of 20 missions he flew and Bi ogs of the aircraft he flew and details of the planes history.
Mike what is your interest in P/o Tuck ? I am in touch with the family of the bomb aimer from that crew.
Pete

Hi,sorry for joining your thread but my grandfathers step brothers son was part of tucks crew, fredrick (bert) dean

Hi James , I have just joined this forum to try and establish some information and living family members of the crew of the lancaster bomber who are buried in our grave yard here in
Genouilly France. Your Great Uncle John Thomas Ash is one of the crew buried here.
Regards Marcia

Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I have recently discovered that my great uncle was a member of the 625 squadron and died on the 1st July 1944.

His name is John Thomas Ash and his service number is 1399276 and was a wireless operator/air gunner.

All I know is that his plane was shot down in Genouille, France. I believe the pilot was Canadian and the rest were British.

My relative told me that he is buried in a church yard in Genouille with the rest of the crew and that when the plane crashed the relatives were not told until way after the War and that the plane was by itself when it was shot down so on a solo mission. Apparently the French resistance saw the plane shot down and notified the War Office but they did not contact the families until a long time after which is strange :/

If anyone has any information about this or can guide me to some information that would be great!

Thanks, James

My name is Peter and I am new to this forum.
I can give you a bit of information about this crash. My brother Frank Allen also died in a crash that night near gnouilly at a place called La Pomaille.and is buried in the village of St.Pierre-De-Jard.
I have a letter from Mr.Bernard Steels he was a 8year old refugee living with his parents near St. Pierre De Jards. He looked out of his window and saw two Lancaster bombers in the sky both of them on fire one of them crashed at La Pomaille and the other at Gnouilly.Both 625 aircraft had taken off from RAF Kelstern on the night of on the 1st. July 1944 on an operational flight over Vierzon. I have read since over a hundred aircraft took part in the raid from various squadrons and 19 were shot down that night.
Hope this is helpful to you

Hi, my grandad Leslie Brice (SGT) was an engineer in 625 flying with P/O Parker. I have his full flying log and service book and would be interested if any one knows anyone that flew with him or any interesting stories. He never really talked about his flying days and passed away in 2000.

I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I am always doing research about my father and the internet has opened up so many doors. My father's name is Kenneth Darley and was a member of 652 Squadron as a Bomb Aimer with pilot Peter Russell. He passed away in 1994. Last year I was doing some research and came across the Memorial page for 625 Squadron and contacted secretary Nic Lewis. We exchanged emails and information and he put me onto a book "Flying in Defiance of the Reich" penned by Peter Russell DFC, my dad's pilot and my dad is throughout the book which was amazing to read. All the stories he told me growing up there in print it was incredible. If anyone knows about my dad's crew, Squadron Leader Peter Russell; Torry,mid upper gunner; Colin, navigator; Reg, flight engineer; Titch, rear gunner; Ken (my dad) bombaimer and Derek, wireless operator, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I am always doing research about my father and the internet has opened up so many doors. My father's name is Kenneth Darley and was a member of 652 Squadron as a Bomb Aimer with pilot Peter Russell. He passed away in 1994. Last year I was doing some research and came across the Memorial page for 625 Squadron and contacted secretary Nic Lewis. We exchanged emails and information and he put me onto a book "Flying in Defiance of the Reich" penned by Peter Russell DFC, my dad's pilot and my dad is throughout the book which was amazing to read. All the stories he told me growing up there in print it was incredible. If anyone knows about my dad's crew, Squadron Leader Peter Russell; Torry,mid upper gunner; Colin, navigator; Reg, flight engineer; Titch, rear gunner; Ken (my dad) bombaimer and Derek, wireless operator, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Hi Grant
I met with Derek Evans the wireless operator last week and I am taking him to RAF East Kirkby tomorrow. He is well and has some great stories. Like you I was fascinated by the book by Peter Russell.

Hi Grant
I met with Derek Evans the wireless operator last week and I am taking him to RAF East Kirkby tomorrow. He is well and has some great stories. Like you I was fascinated by the book by Peter Russell.
I am so glad to hear Derek is well. Could you mention my dad to him if you see him again. I am coming to the UK in September and will be visiting the Kelstern sight. That part will only be a day trip but to see Derek would be wonderful. Not sure where he is but if that were possible it would be great.

Hi new to the board .
Im trying to find out any info about 625 squadron,the squadron my grandfather fiew with before being shot down on 28/29 7 44,
i have dtails of that event and in the process of recording his 23 missions.
what im really after is any war time photos of 625 either its aircraft or raf kelstern

cheers
Hi Jupiter,

I understand this is a very old post, but I would be very interested to get in touch with you. If you haven't seen this already, please see the link to the Aircrew Remembered Report on your Grandfather: 625 Squadron Lancaster III LM546 CF-O F/O. Collett, RAF Kelstern, Esslingen, Germany

Reading the credits at the bottom of the report I assume it was actually you who contributed to this report?

If there is anyone else on here who doesn't currently have a report about their family members who served with the 625 Squadron then please get in touch with me.

Thanks very much,
Mike.

Dear NIc,
I'm a bit slow and didn't find your post before I started another about 625.

I am fortunate in being the cook/carer for Peter Charles Armytage. He is now 86 years old, blind and quite crippled.

Peter joined the air force straight out of Geelong Grammar and flew to UK via USA (where he saw louis armstrong in person!) where he became a member of 625 squadron. Peter was shot down (over Antwerp I think) and then after 3 months on the run he was caught and spent quite some time as a POW in Holland before being liberated by the russians.

We are mainly looking for any information on his fellow squadron members and any other general information we can find.

Can you help at all??

Thanks very much
Hi Skye,

I trust you are well. I hope you found the information you were after about Flying Officer Armytage. If not, please see the report on his crew here: 625 Squadron Lancaster I ME684 CF-V Fl/Lt. Clark, RAF Kelstern, near Varsseveld

If you feel you have anything to add to this report, like photos, documents, stories etc, then please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Mike - Sydney, AU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back