6th Of June, 1944: D-Day (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lesofprimus said:
Blah blah blah, we salute Vets every day here, but the D-Day landings at Normany were especially significant in that it was the beginning of the end for the Third Reich, and I feel a special something in my guts when I consider that hail of gunfire those guys coming off the landing craft had to deal with....

You're right Les! Good words!

Oy, my friend wanted me to go to a Baseball game on the 6th. I politely turned it down, citing more important things to do. When I was asked what my plans were, I replied "I plan to watch all the history I can on the events that took place on this day 60+ years ago. I will never experience combat like the soldiers liberating Europe did, so I should at the very least honor the memories of the fallen, and praying for the survivors and fallen on both sides."
If ya' ever want me to start a big heated discussion in person, bring up the A-bombs, or more importantly, why D-Day should hold a more respectful place in people's hearts around the globe.

It dissapoints me that i asked some kids i know and they said Ike was a Nazi Gerneral, and that Hitler wwas British and none had heard of D-Day. You just dont get educated about it at school. I just got my GCSE options and there is hardly anything about ww2. grrrrr

One year later. :salute:

d-day05.jpg

D-Day was the pivotal event of the 100 years of the 20th Century. Many incidents and events to place that were important or significant but none as much as D-Day.

Without the courage of the US, Britain, Canada, Free French and others who landed on those beaches, not only the tide of war but the thin hold on freedom that all the Allied countries had was strengthened.

I teach my kids about it every June.

and I salute those soldiers.

:salute: to ALL the troops landing on D1, by sea and by air.

Shame that most kids nowadays don't know there were 2 British and 1 Canadian beaches in addition to the 2 US ones.

How Hollywood and the games industry can write off such a valiant effort and only mention the US effort is beyond me.

Even a UK TV station recently aired a programme that stated 'the airborne drops early on D-Day went disastrously wrong' (or words to that effect). :evil: Whereas it was only the US drop that was messed-up (for many, understandable reasons) and that the British drop was (mainly) an outstanding success. :salute:

Is that what people fought, bled died for?; to be written out of history within 65 years??

Good to see on here at least that we recognise the efforts sacrifices of ALL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW the expression ****-up (male hen) does not refer to the male member and therefore is not rude!!!! God I hate swear-filters, especially when they're wrong!!!!!!!!!

First...............HUSSARS!!!!!

to the men of the first hussars armoured corps who took the heavy toll on Juno, and the men of the 1st Canadian Army

and all the men who fought and died on Operation Overlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Back