78th FG and 353rd FG, How many victories were scored with 47's vs 51's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Josh64

Airman
Sep 27, 2009
USA
I've always wondered this about these two fighter groups. I know they each flew both the P-47 and P-51 during WWII, but of there roughly 350 aerial victories each how many were credited to each type of fighter? I know the 353rd and the 78th each had great success with the P-47 but I assume that at least 1/4 of their victory totals were achieved with the P-51. I have been unable to find any sources or info on this subject (Books, Internet, Etc.). So just wondering if anyone has any info? Thanks Alot

I've always wondered this about these two fighter groups. I know they each flew both the P-47 and P-51 during WWII, but of there roughly 350 aerial victories each how many were credited to each type of fighter? I know the 353rd and the 78th each had great success with the P-47 but I assume that at least 1/4 of their victory totals were achieved with the P-51. I have been unable to find any sources or info on this subject (Books, Internet, Etc.). So just wondering if anyone has any info? Thanks Alot

I do..

An interesting contrast is the 355th which started Operations several months after 78th and 353rd, were way behind in victory credits, but converted to Mustangs in March 1944 and overtook both groups in one month and finished ahead of both in air to air and ground totals.

Attachments

• 8th Ops Award-Losses_by type dec_1_09.pdf
    74.8 KB · Views: 122
an old listing gives such :

78th fg : 338 1/2 in the air, 358 1/2 on the ground

353rd fg : 330 1/2 in the air, 414 on the ground

355th fg : (Note to self, with Bill on board should not even attempt this) .............. 365 1/2 in the air, a whopping 502 1/2 on the ground. Believe the 355th fg led the 8th in ground kills. Obviously Bill would know this.

E ~

an old listing gives such :

78th fg : 338 1/2 in the air, 358 1/2 on the ground

353rd fg : 330 1/2 in the air, 414 on the ground

355th fg : (Note to self, with Bill on board should not even attempt this) .............. 365 1/2 in the air, a whopping 502 1/2 on the ground. Believe the 355th fg led the 8th in ground kills. Obviously Bill would know this.

E ~

You got the official 8th AF Victory Credits Board tally at the end of the war.

The 355th was overstated in June 1945 because the 2SF was placed into the 355th total. The 1/2 was resolved from a July 7 mission in which Minchew claimed a shared score with a 55th FG P-38 but the final review in USAF 85 gave 100% to Minchew as both the Me 410 engines were blazing before the 38 cut him off.

I found several 'double entries' in the 8th VCB which I stripped away for ground credits, and USAF 85 caught the double entries for air to air. Hence the difference in both air and ground credits in my final tally for all the groups.

E~ The Air Victory Credits have been updated at USAFHRC from time to time as more evidence from the J reports (mid air collisions in which, unknown to the reporting FG, resulted in the destruction of a German fighter in addition to the US loss)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back