Shoot it down?

• Yes, Fighter

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Yes, ADA

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Updated

1676240979224.png

The AIM 9-X block II is about the best there is for hitting a balloon at that altitude.

Perhaps a balloon-buster variant with the warhead replaced by a parachute package for recovery and reuse?
That reminded me.
A missile was used to take out someone on the "naughty list" awhile back. They got him sitting in the back of a car using a warhead without explosives. It was like a big OSHA NOT Approved vegematic slicing into the car. No collateral damage.
A missile with four big scary Katanas sounds pretty good for the job.

That reminded me.
A missile was used to take out someone on the "naughty list" awhile back. They got him sitting in the back of a car using a warhead without explosives. It was like a big OSHA NOT Approved vegematic slicing into the car. No collateral damage.
A missile with four big scary Katanas sounds pretty good for the job.

It's just whether it can accelerate upwards to 60-70k feet as well as downwards. If it can, this is a great idea.

Boeing put wings on a 250 lb bomb, stuck it on a rocket motor slated for destruction and came up with a super groovy long range weapon.
Some clever folk figgerd' out how to operate AGM-88 HARM missiles from Soviet MiG-29s.
I'm sure there's a convenient rocket motor type adaptable for use with that warhead to launch it from an F-22 Luke.

The whole idea (at this point in time) is to bring down the package as intact as possible to determine the nature of the equipment - ELINT, Photo and other (plus verifying it's origin and nature), so busting the balloon is the best way to do that.

I'm sure that if these intrusions persist, then they'll switch to targeting the package, which can be taken out with a warhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back