All basically true but a couple of points, first in general about new fighters...
The Spitfire and Bf 109 initially also lacked armor or self sealing tanks and got some in stages, I know the Spit got a 'bullet resistent' windscreen in 1939 and a little bit of armor, but this was just 3mm thick on the fuel tanks, barely enough to stop a .357 at close range let alone a 20mm cannon. Some time in mid 1940 they started adding a reasonable amount of pilot armor, externally 'sealed' tanks around the same time and true self sealing tanks a bit later. The first Hurricane Mk I's also lacked armor which was added around the same time (in mid 1940). I could be wrong but I think some Spits and Hurricanes flying in first couple of months of the BoB did not actually have armor. A 'modern' level of armor with added pilot protection and some coverage for the ammunition boxes was incorporated into the much maligned Spit V series some time in 1941. I'm not certain but I think the first real bullet proof windscreens were being experimented with around that time too.
The first P-40s were about a year behind this development cycle because the US wasn't yet fighting for their life in a war, but this oversight was remedied quickly enough.
Teething problems with new engines were also basically the rule rather than exception. The Allison V-1710 did pretty well for being first deployed in 1937. Everyone underestimated the power and endurance that was really going to be needed in the war, but the Allison did pretty well as they go.
The Tomahawk
We think of the early P-40B and C / Hawk 81 as an American war machine but it's most important service was actually in the hands of the British, and to a lesser extent the Soviets. Their heyday was not at Peal Harbor or with the AVG, but two months earlier in the Western Desert and the Steppes of Russia in October 1941. The first batch (lacking armor and self-sealing tanks, and with only 4 guns) was supposed to be a run of 524, but only 200 were finished for the US order. 140 were supposed to be made for the French, and by April 1940 they were ready and already in French markings* getting finishing touches before being shipped... but the Battle of France ended abruptly in June 1940.
These were sent to England in September 1940, not as Lend Lease incidentally. Most were used as training aircraft, though a few were send to the Middle East as Tomahawk Mk I. As far as I can tell only one squadron No. 112 Sqn RAF, actually got the Tomahawk I starting in July 1941, which even without armor etc. were an improvement over their Gladiators.
Once they did get the armor and self sealing tanks into them the British were much keener on these planes. Curtiss quickly built 110 Tomahawk IIA explicitly for the British, equivalent to P-40B with armor and externally self sealing tanks, but no drop tank plumbing. About ~20 of these were sent strait to the Soviets. Britain asked for some more changes and these were implemented by Curtis as the Tomahawk IIB (P-40C equivalent), heavier and a bit slower but far more robust. The British ordered 930, with 195 being diverted to the Soviets after June 1941. A few were also sent to the Turks. In England, 2 Sqn RAF and 26 Sqn RAF was using Tomahawks briefly for interdiction over France.
Tomahawks in the Western Desert
As I can determine, in addition to ~40 Tomahawk I sent to 112 Sqn in July 1941, ~100 Tomahawk IIA, and ~700 Tomahawk IIB were sent to Egypt in August and September to join the rapidly intensifying war there, starting an expedited training work up. They were assigned to no less than 10 RAF squadrons, 2 SAAF squadrons and 1 RAAF (3 Sqn). The need was pressing. I./JG 27 had been deployed to Africa since April 1941 and were taking a heavy toll on the Gladiators, Hurricanes, Lysanders and Blenheims of the DAF, and II./JG 27 deployed to Libya at the end of September doubling their numbers.
In October about half of these RAF units went operational with the Tomahawk II and it immediately started taking a toll on enemy aircraft. The Italians retired their older Cr 32s from combat and relegated Cr 42s to fighter bomber duties. The Germans pulled Bf 110 from fighter operationas and asked for the newer Bf 109F-2 to replace their older "Emils" at an accelerated rate. Tomahawks were immediately engaged in heavy fighting covering Operation Crusader and the retreating forces after the battle of Tobruk in November, and allied victories at Capuzzo and Ed Duda in December. DAF policy was to protect the bombers and concentrate on ground support, but they would fight when attacked. After a battle on Nov 22, 1941 over Bir Hachim in which 20 Bf 109F-2s engaged 13 Tomahawk IIB's of 112 RAF and 3 RAAF, losing 4 Bf 109s, the German's changed policy not to engage this type in close air combat, but instead to focus exclusively on hit and run attacks. They still had an advantage, but they couldn't press home their attacks as much as previously.
Tomahawks in Russia
At the same time, in October, about 200 Tomahawk IIA and IIBs sent to Russia earlier in the year went into action in the critical battles at Moscow and Leningrad fronts. There they scored many victories and the Soviet squadrons that flew them became guards units. By February however nearly all of the remaining Tomahawks were grounded due to maintenance issues associated with the Winter. But considering the razor thin margins by which the Soviets were able to slow and then stop the German advance in these two cities, and the high number of claims (compared to other Soviet squadrons) made by the Tomahawk units, it's reasonable to assume they did play a role in this outcome. If those had been just another handful of I-16 or Mig-3 squadrons, who knows? Maybe the battle could have tipped the other way. So compared to the brief battles in Hawaii and the exploits of the AVG, as important as those were, these Campaigns in foreign use were far
more important air battles (in my opinion), in the sense that the Tomahawk actually played a significant role, if only as a 'speed bump', in slowing down the German onslaught on two fronts.
Interestingly when the first Kittyhawks first arrived around Dec 1941, (with again nearly the whole production run of 560 Kittyhawk I / P-40D going to the British), they were not as well liked by the pilots. With the extra weight from the 6 heavy machine guns and other gear, and the lower factory rated engine settings, they were more sluggish, definitely losing a step in terms of climb rate (just under 2,000 fpm vs. 3,000 fpm for the Tomahawk) and speed. It wasn't until increased power settings, not just actual full fledged overboosting as increased manifold pressure used for most regimes. This seems to have been sorted out by around April or May of 1942, after which the performance of the Kittyhawk I and IIA (P-40E) greatly improved, and with it the fortunes of the hard pressed DAF. This incidentally coincides nicely with the improvements made to the V-1710-39 starting around Dec 1941.
Oh and yes, overboosting
Incidentally, there seems to be more and more of these books coming out now about WWII air combat where they actually check the records from both sides. I just got another new one which I really liked called "South Pacific Air War". The
first volume is out with two more coming in November, according to Amazon. This first volume covers just
two months - March and April of 1942, and centers mostly on the exploits of a couple of USAAF medium bomber (B-25 and B-26) squadrons and 75 Sqn RAAF (Kittyhawk IA) in defending Port Morseby in New Guinea, and on their Japanese opponents in two A6M squadrons, one of them the elite and famous
Tainan Air Group, and two units of G4M medium bombers.
The brave and hard suffering pilots of 75 Sqn had very little training on type before being thrown into the breach, so to speak, and got few re-inforcements before being rotated out for a rest in May 1942 having used up almost all of their aircraft about a third of their pilots. They did well at first but by the 5th or 6th week of combat, after the second Japanese fighter group had joined the battle, and with almost every pilot suffering dysentery or malaria or both, they were really suffering. One Aussie pilot seems to have perhaps discovered a hidden capability in his aircraft that saved his life, which I will now share with you here. This is from page 164 describing an engagement on 26 April, the day after ANZAC Day. A flight of four Kittyhawks had just attacked 7 A6M2s of Tainan Kokutai who were doing a sweep over Port Morseby. The Japanese pilots turned into the attack and engaged, and none were hit sufficient to cause any real damage in the initial bounce. The Kittyhawks dove to disengage but maybe didn't have enough room to dive, instead getting chased around the harbor by the angry Tainan Ko pilots. The rest is directly from South Pacific Air War, Volume II:
"The most excitement was had by Michael Buttler in [Kittyhawk Ia] A29-48, who found himself chased through the Port Moresby foothills by a lone Zero. Then as he emerged over the sea, other Zeroes joined the chase until he had five on his tail. By dangerously overpowering his engine he could just draw away from them at around 300 miles per hour. But then he'd have to relax the power slightly and the Zeros would gain on him and fire ranging shots. Butler later estimated this went on for 120 miles before he got back to Morseby.
..."I thought "Now, bust you," I'd lost them... I thought they'd turned inland but would wait for me to try to land at Seven Mile. So I thought "Well, I'll trick you. I'll land at the civil 'drome.' So I ... landed at Three Mile instead. I was absolutely stonkered. I got out of the aeroplane. I couldn't talk. A Yank came up to me and I think I smoked about half a packet of cigarettes before I was sensible.... I've never been so scared in my life and I was really in a mess."
Incredibly, Butler had survived without a single hit to his aircraft. Overall there were no losses to either side in this combat, although four Zeros had again receive minor damage."
The bold emphasis is by me. Sounds like he discovered overboosting right there in April 1942. Managed to do it for a while too, sounds like about 25 minutes on and off, probably watching the temperature gauge. Probably wouldn't have pushed the throttle past the stop if he wasn't in such dire peril. But I bet it wasn't the last time he used that trick, seeing as he survived the war.
*just imagine if the Battle of France had started 3 months later... the French would have had a lot more to use and not just the Tomahawk, but the Tomahawks would have probably made a difference since the Hawk 75 was the top scoring fighter for the French. I think the VG-33 and about 200 more D.520s might have helped too.