A Few Interesting Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It turns out that the German U-boats liked being beached .... Two German U-Boats grounded near Falmouth in 1921. The one nearer to the camera is UB 86, a UB III-class submarine that was commissioned on 10 November 1917.

U-Boats_grounded_Falmouth_1921.JPEG

USS Boxer (CV-21) brings aboard 146 U.S. Air Force F-51 Mustangs at Naval Air Station Alameda, California, for transportation to East Asia in July 1950 during the early days of the Korean War. You can see they are coated with something to protect them from the elements. I have a book about P-51s in Korea with pics of them with the blue coating. They look like blue plastic toys.

USS_Boxer_%28CV-21%29_F-51_Mustangs.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently, the coast near the Hastings in England became the favourite seashore for beaching of U-boats. I wonder if the reason for that could be the well-known English sunny weather? :lol: Below ... the German U-Boat UB-131 washed up at Bulverhythe, Hastings on 9 January 1921. She was broken up on site.

The ship was the German Type UB III mine laying submarine. She was built by AG Weser of Bremen and following just under a year of construction, launched at Bremen on 4 June 1918. UB-131 was commissioned later the same year. Like all Type UB III submarines, UB-131 carried 10 torpedoes and was armed with a 10.5 cm (4.13 in) deck gun. UB-131 would carry a crew of up to 3 officer and 31 men and had a cruising range of 7,280 nautical miles (13,480 km). UB-131 had a displacement of 512 t (504 long tons; 564 short tons) while surfaced and 643 t (633 long tons; 709 short tons) when submerged. Her engines enabled her to travel at 13.9 knots (25.7 km/h; 16.0 mph) when surfaced and 7.6 knots (14.1 km/h; 8.7 mph) when submerged.

U-131_Hastings_3.jpg

U131_Hastings_1.jpg

U-131_Hastings_2.jpg

Grumman F6F-5 Hellcats converted to drones for use during the Operation Crossroads atomic tests on the Bikini Atoll in July 1946. The drones were flown through the radioactive cloud to measure radioactivity. (U.S. Navy Photograph.)

f6f-hellcat-drones.jpg

Gravesite in Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire. I magnified the pic but couldnt clarify the inscription. Has anyone seen this before?

tumblr_niuu4tCbtL1rmgjxxo1_1280.jpg

pics like that are awesome....ot is kind of like pompeii in a way. shows important events took place right under our noses and those events are too often forgotten until we see who they were frozen in time.

pictures like the german soldiers in leningrad ( or pics of any soldier taken during the war ) a always makes me wonder how they faired....did they make it home to loved ones or were they among the countless casualties...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back