A few more future releases.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree. Those review pics I've seen of their 1/32nd scale kits seemed to show some rather basic detail, some of which looked very plain and 'heavy', and I don't think that standard warrants the fairly high prices.
To pay over £100 for a 1/48th scale B-17, I'd expect the thing to at least be able to taxi !!

Airfix have just announced the release, soon after Christmas, of a 1/48th scale Hawker Hunter F4/F5/J-34.
This is the earlier version of this classic jet, without the 'dog tooth' wing leading edge, and decals are included for the F4 (RAF), F5 (Belgian) and J-34 (Swedish) versions (Jan take note !).
Think I might be tempted ....................

I foolishly spent the money on the 1/48 B-17G, believing that the "new tool" was based on the completely accurate Boeing blueprints and drawings that have been available digitally for long enough. Not the case! Basically it is a pantographed down 1/32 HK B-17G, with even more simplified interior and components, and a "corrected" windscreen/nose area. Based on a set of drawings by Granger, originally published by Aero Data International some decades ago, (in my collection) someone has retraced the drawing, adding rivet detail and some other "new" things. In short, it is still woefully inaccurate. I have had the opportunity to put it up against the Monogram kit, as well as Boeing's blueprints and drawings. To the average person, it looks like a B-17, the same can be said about any B-17 model. However to the hardcore B-17 aficionado it fails miserably when measured and compared to what is known to be accurate. Because of HK's ignorance in the following of Boeing's drawings, or photographing a real WWII accurate restoration, it is just a detailed representation of a B-17G. I have already reboxed and sold it, and replaced it with a Monogram B-17G and a Revell B-17F, now I have 36 unbuilt, and 24 built (all gifted away now). Very little of the HK kit, actually jives with Boeing drawings, or the real thing. It's missing most of the exterior lighting, no pitot tubes, the drilled out rivets, don't match with the Boeing blueprints, or the real thing. The shape and outline are still off, by a scale foot in areas. In a word, it's bloated! One can only dream that someone like Peter Jackson will have the wherewithal to do it right, like the Wingnut Wings Lancaster, which will thoroughly trounce the much overpriced HK kit. Wingnut Wings surface detail is second to none, with all the raised rivets and puckering, just like the real thing. It too will be pricey, however when completed and painted, it will be a miniature Lancaster. The amount of money, extra detailing parts, etc. can easily put the HK 1/32 B-17 at more than $1,000, and the 1/48 kit over $500, all said and done. The problem with most aftermarket available, for either scale HK kit, is that it just glorifies the errors. That's my 2 cents. The photo, shows the Monogram fuselage sitting inside the HK fuselage. (Monogram being converted to late E).

Attachments

• D2C83C37-B77B-4F39-8A8C-AC83589D0D68.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 56
Wait/hope for a B-17 from Hobby Boss after their B-24?
Maybe Revell step up to the plate for a 1/32 one, or 1/48?
I'm sure that ICM could, would do, a great B-17 in 1/48....
Who else?
Airfix, after theirs in 1/72?

Users who are viewing this thread