A few more future releases.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_20240810_214105.jpg

Yep, there were some good Airfix 1/32nd scale kits back then, and the scale matched popular car kits, slot cars and aircraft, figures etc, etc.
The idea was to have scales matching all areas - vehicles, aircraft, trains, boats etc.
Then Tamiya threw a spanner in the works and came up with the ludicrous 1/35th scale, which doesn't match anything, and everyone else followed, and still follow, over 50 years on !
I don't care what anyone says, there is a marked difference between 1/35th and 1/32nd scales, when it comes to matching, for example, figures and vehicles with aircraft.

Yep, I agree.

From the early 1950's up to the mid to late 1960's, the common scale for most model kits was 1/72nd, to more or less match model railway stuff, with 1/96th and some other "near enough" scales too.
At that time, there were very few 1/48th scale kits, of any type, with Monogram and Revell being the leaders. This situation remained well into the early 1980's, when such companies as Airfix, ESCI and Italiere (as they then were, now Italeri), started to introduce 1/48th, far surpassing the then limited number of offerings from the likes of Otaki and even Tamiya.
Revell introduced, in the late 1960's, what was then considered "huge" 1/32nd scale aircraft kits, with detail that was, for the time, amazing (if not particularly accurate), and these matched the already available car, truck, figures, and railroad kits from many manufacturers.
Military vehicle kits in this scale, from Airfix, Monogram, Revell etc soon followed, albeit sparsely but, by the early 1970's, Tamiya had started their domination of military stuff in the odd-ball scale of 1/35th, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Very recently, there have been some 1/35th aircraft kits, presumably to address the situation vis a vis the scale-matching of aircraft, vehicles and figures, but I personally think this should have happened 50 years ago, but matching the vehicles etc to the already established (and better) scale of 1/32nd.

The can is open, let the worms wriggle .............................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back