A new book in my library. (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Had a similar experience many moons ago when I was still in uniform. I had a secondary duty as Mess Secretary but a decision had been made to consolidate messes, resulting in the closure of our building and I handled a fair amount of the admin associated with the change. We had a small library in our mess that had been largely ignored for many years. We tried to give the books to the station library or the other messes but there was no interest. When it became clear that we were just going to throw the books away, I asked the Mess President if I could take any that interested me, to which he agreed. I duly snagged a great book on the Battle of Rourke's Drift as well as a first-edition copy of "Reach for the Sky". I'd read Douglas Bader's inspirational story when I was in hospital at the age of 12 so the copy of "Reach for the Sky" was an absolute must for me. About 18 months later I had been posted to Texas on an exchange tour. One day, my wife happened to show the book to a guest only to find that the loan record card had come detached from the book (apparently the Texas heat had perished the glue). Under the card was Douglas Bader's signature! Talk about doing a Snoopy happy dance!! Still have the book in my collection, complete with the now-detached loan card. :)

Latest arrivals to show up.

HPIM3246.JPG
HPIM3247.JPG

I have the Battle of France book and it's simply outstanding. One of the best "Then and Now" publications, IMHO. Also, you can't go wrong with Chris Shores and Brian Cull - I have a number of their books, authored jointly and independently, and enjoy them all. The other 2 look pretty interesting, too. It's unfortunate that many people's interest in the China air war only extends to the AVG and nothing much beyond that.

I agree with you Buff as I have a few of the Then and now publications and also quite a few of Chris Shores books. If your interested here is a link to some pictures I have of books in my library and I do agree there are not to many books out there about the China war other then for the flying tigers.

Show us your library....

That's a fantastic collection, Micdrow. You're as bad as me for collecting books. I say that's a good thing...Mrs B-N might disagree. :)

LOL thanks, I actually have more then what's posted up there now. You get the time feel free to post your collection there. Love to see what other people have to ask what's good and not good for books :)

I guess I should have asked this question first before I ordered it but oh well as its on its way now from Japan. Any one know much about this book. I have always like the zero so hoping it has lots of pictures and diagrams.

1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back