A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maybe "Aircraft of the Ace". According to the book "Aces High" 29 victory ace John Robert Daniel 'Bob' Braham scored his first victory in one while flying a night mission on 24/25 Aug. 1940. Trying to find out what he shot down.

The book I ordered was supposed to be as shown below. Same basic cover, but no "Aircraft of the Aces" in the title, should be "Combat Aircraft" series, and more pages, plus the 'extra'pages indicated.
Note also that the one I received shows "Belenheims Squadrons", not "Blenheim Squadrons". Content is basically the same, but not as comprehensive, and I suspect the colour profiles are fewer.

Osprey Blenheim.jpg

Screenshot_20200501-070852_LibraryThing.jpg

How I ended up with this one is kind of weird. Order from company X for a ridiculously low price, a few days after that the order was cancelled by the vendor (I figured they did a search and saw how much the book is going for and decided against selling it). Ok so back to square one I thought, I'll keep an eye out to see if another one pops up, when low and behold this book arrives. Confused but happy I look to see if I had reordered a copy from somewhere else and just didn't remember...nope. Cool I'm thinking now, free book! Go to start reading it...can you see what's "wrong" with it? It's the French language edition! Oh well, a free book is a free book, I can still look at the pictures and there is always Google translate!

Spitfire, A very British Love story - John Nic

C09C68FE-91C0-4454-8FEE-F2EDF3DB87CC.jpeg

I've just finished this one. Great book written today using interviews and the stories of veterans. Sadly some never made it to see the book published.

A great read taking you through the history of the Spit in WW2 through the stories and accounts of the guys and girls that flew them, with a little bit of tech information thrown in where relevant.

Can't recommend it enough.

Well, it was cheap and cheerful....

View attachment 580080

Hmmm....I'd be interested to learn whether that volume is any good. One of my relatives flew Brisfits in 1918 but he was never an ace (as far as I can tell, he never had an air-to-air engagement). Like others in this series, I suspect the emphasis is on the aircraft flown by the aces and so the odds of anything being of relevance to my relative's unit is slight at best.

Hmmm....I'd be interested to learn whether that volume is any good. One of my relatives flew Brisfits in 1918 but he was never an ace (as far as I can tell, he never had an air-to-air engagement). Like others in this series, I suspect the emphasis is on the aircraft flown by the aces and so the odds of anything being of relevance to my relative's unit is slight at best.

It's not too bad, just like other Osprey books in the same style, it's a good start!
Just picked up another Bristol F. 2b book, from amazon, for £5.99 and 112 pages if I remember correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back