A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Grabbed these 2 yesterday hot off the Press...

Avonmore Profiles Vol.10 & Bombers North_2459.jpg

Well now in trouble but hey, I finally got a copy :)
That looks like aninteresting read! I read the Amazon summary for this book. I look forward to hearing more from you on it.

I am researching my father's operation to Chemnitz, 5/6, March 1945. It was the greatest non-combat loss ever experienced by the RCAF. Seven Halifax bombers, crashed immediately after takeoff. 40 of 49 aircrew were killed. A further four bombers crashed on the return journey, killing 24, of 28 air crew. Severe Icing conditions were responsible or contributory to all crashes.

I have a detailed history on this, if you wish to read it. I can send it by email.

Jim

Last edited:
That looks like aninteresting read! I read the Amazon summary for this book. I look forward to hearing more from you on it.

I am researching my father's operation to Chemnitz, 5/6, March 1945. It was the greatest non-combat loss ever experienced by the RCAF. Seven Halifax bombers, crashed immediately after takeoff. 40 of 49 aircrew were killed. A further four bombers crashed on the return journey, killing 24, of 28 air crew. Severe Icing conditions were responsible or contributory to all crashes.

I have a detailed history on this, if you wish to read it. I can send it by email.

Jim
You should post a thread about it. How tragic.

So looks to be a typical Michael Claringbould book. There are plenty of profiles in the back of the book, 45 profiles in back of the book with aircraft type, serial number if known and general info. Also in the back of the book is a list of aircraft lost or damaged with info like serial number, squadron, tale marking if known and more. This list is 46 aircraft. List of missing personnel and losses. Would have been nice if book had both the profile and picture of the aircraft if it existed. There are photographs but can always use more :). All and all looks to be a good read if you are familiar with Michaels Claringbould books. Maybe this weekend I will start reading it. though I have 5 other books at various stages of reading right now :(

img066.jpg

Jim
As Jim (Capt Vick) posted I would love to read it as well and sure many others are as well if you are not shy about posted it on the board. Otherwise let me know and I will send you a private email with my address as I would love to read it.

all the best

Paul

As Jim (Capt Vick) posted I would love to read it as well and sure many others are as well if you are not shy about posted it on the board. Otherwise let me know and I will send you a private email with my address as I would love to read it.

all the best

Paul
I think what I would prefer to do, is email it to those who are interested in it. First of all it's over 10,000 words. Second of all I would like to publish it in the Canadian journal of military history and it remains a draft at this time. I think it's a significant contribution to the history of the RCAF, as the operation has a lot of twists, and turns to it. Needless to say, the Luftwaffe was involved in a big way that night. I think it is an interesting event. Probably one of the more interesting operations that my dad under took, and quite frankly very frightening. The evidence is pretty clear, dad ignored orders, completely disregarded the flight plan in order to avoid icing conditions. I don't know whether that was a flagrant violation of orders, or just good flying. But they were told on the return trip to fly at 2,500' over the French coast. And dad flew at 15,000 feet. I know that, because I have dad's Navigator's chart and and logs. And we know what the flight plan was.

so if you're interested, send me a personal message with your email and I will send it off to those interested in the next day or two.

Jim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back