A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry guys, Blücher doesn't mean glue auf Deutsche.

The surname comes from a town of the same name that's east of Hamburg, on a bend of the river Elbe.

The glue thing from Young Doctor Frankenstein is an urban legend.
The Blucher is a type of shoe, said to have been designed by Field Marshal Bluecher in the 1830s. Shoes are made of leather. Horses are made of leather. Coincidence?

From Mel Brooks:
"When I was writing the first draft, I said, "I wonder if anybody would get it when someone said "Frau Blücher" and the horses neigh. Mel [Brooks] said, "Keep it in." Well, the audience loved it in the previews.

Actually, I chose the name because I wanted an authentic German name. I took out some of the books I had of the letters to and from Sigmund Freud. I saw someone named Blücher had written to him, and I said well that's the name."

However, there's more:
Cloris Leachman, on NPR's "Fresh Air" on June 3, 2009, claimed that Mel Brooks told her that Blücher (as in Frau Blücher) means "glue" in German, hence the reason for the horse whinnies. However, this is not true: Blücher bears no resemblance to the German for glue. It's a very common name, so that shouting "Frau Blücher!" is essentially equivalent to shouting, "Ms. Jones!" According to supplementary information on the DVD, the horse's terror at her name is meant to show that she is a terrible and frightening person and, according to Gene Wilder, "Lord only knows what she does to them when no one is around".

Users who are viewing this thread