A new book in my library. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Jim, though that's not off to a good start:
EG was the code for 487 (NZ) Sqn... 489's was XA until 1943, when it became P6.
That sucks...maybe that's what was meant when some people spoke about the series shortcomings. I found at least one error in the 262 book, it said that one version (bomber or recon) had a window inbthe floor! But I mostly like them for the pictures and technical drawings.

Something non war related - at first glance it looks great though and I managed to get it for a steal (about 80% of list price):

815s5bpiDFL._SL1500_.jpg

View attachment 770772
I will look for more tomorrow. Wife "emergency" had me cut it short. 🙄
Have you seen this?

Problem was that in early 1942 plans for the formation of Beaufort squadrons went to pot. Plans for the Far East intended that 36 & 100 squadrons in Singapore were to be equipped with Beauforts from Australian production. War with Japan stopped this happening. Then it was decided to send 22 & 217 from Britain to beef up the defence of Ceylon. As they moved east they were retained in the Middle East during summer of 1942. At the same time Beauforts were needed for the Middle East squadrons (the first arrived in late 1941).

Bottom line. There were insufficient Beauforts for all theatres. So the few Beauforts in 489 were withdrawn.

In April 1942 144 and 455 Hampden squadrons transferred from Bomber to Coastal Command in the torpedo bomber role. Sufficient spare Hampdens were also available to re-equip 489.

I also grabbed this volume which describes the early attempts at fixed-wing aviation in the UK from George Cayley onwards. Hoping it's a good read:

View attachment 764220

I picked this one up last month at the Farnborough Air Sciences Trust. Just started reading it and, so far, I have to say it's an outstanding book. If you're looking for a book that's heavily footnoted, then this isn't for you. Conversely, if you're looking for a highly readable account of some historic pioneers of flight in the UK, then I can't recommend it highly enough.

The first chapter covers Eilmer, the "flying monk", who designed his own man-carrying glider and launched himself from a church tower above the town of Malmesbury in the year 1010...and flew for over a furlong. Other chapters cover more well-known individuals, like George Cayley, Percy Pilcher, and, of course, Samuel Cody.

One new name to me was Francis Wenham who invented the world's first wind tunnel in 1870. His paper "Aerial Locomotion", presented to the Royal Aeronautical Society in 1866, proposed a biplane configuration with the planes joined by struts, with turning achieved by generating more lift on one side of the aircraft than the other. There's strong indication that Wenham's work strongly influenced the Wright brothers.

Yesterday I made a side trip to a very large used book store in Detroit and came away with 3 books one may be of interest here. A very small almost pocket edition of All the worlds Fighting Fleets 1940 edition. Not the greatest shape no dust cover and very well used but interesting little book.
Ships 3.jpg

Ships 1.jpg

Ships 2.jpg

The other 2 were just silly purchases a Anime stye Graphic Novel Low Riders in Space, written in the style of a school girls notebook. And Rube Goldberg Life history.
others.jpg

Yesterday I made a side trip to a very large used book store in Detroit and came away with 3 books one may be of interest here. A very small almost pocket edition of All the worlds Fighting Fleets 1940 edition. Not the greatest shape no dust cover and very well used but interesting little book.
View attachment 771592
View attachment 771593
View attachment 771594
The other 2 were just silly purchases a Anime stye Graphic Novel Low Riders in Space, written in the style of a school girls notebook. And Rube Goldberg Life history.
View attachment 771595
Where's the crank for the Rube Goldberg book? Reading it looks too straightforward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back