A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Newest add-ons to the library

HPIM3698.JPG
HPIM3699.JPG

Cheers Jesse. Found it on Amazon for €23, so might get it. They even put a Kiwi on the front cover :)

Edit: Just changed my mind... he failed my first test. On the cover image he has made the common mistake of putting the Yellow ring on the lower wing roundel... I don't know how that started, but almost every profile artist does it (except the Ventura artist(s), but they're Kiwis)

Last edited:
Cheers Jesse. Found it on Amazon for €23, so might get it. They even put a Kiwi on the front cover :)

Edit: Just changed my mind... he failed my first test. On the cover image he has made the common mistake of putting the Yellow ring on the lower wing roundel... I don't know how that started, but almost every profile artist does it (except the Ventura artist(s), but they're Kiwis)

Morning,

Sorry took me so long to reply, I was sleeping and then went straight to work and didnt want to reply till I got home. I am not sure that the profiles are wrong as these are some of the picture from the Pacific profile book.

Just a theory and by far I am no expert on marking but just how it coud be confusing

Picture 1 looks to me that the top and bottom are the same color.
1.jpg

Picture two looks the same way but you can clearly see the reminets of the American star underneath.
2.jpg

Now Picture three looks to have 393 painted per your coment where the lower ring painted over more to match the airplane or a different color but the next one 300 looks to have both upper and lower same color and the last one looks mainly upper with lower painted over.
3.jpg

Is it possible that they just didnt have time to finish painting over the bottom half and just left them or these pictures taken before the painting was completed. To me I can see why it would be very confusing for creating the profiles.

Just my two cents. Probably a good place for a conversation over in the camoflauge thread area but either way some feed back and pictures of the New Zealand aircraft in the book :)

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
Cheers Paul, but I meant the Yellow outer ring on the roundels - correct on the fuselage, but not on the wing roundels.
Most profile artists and decal companies seem to think all 6 should have the Yellow outer ring.

Cheers mate, I'll do so straight away then! -
Are there photos of the subjects aswell, or just profiles, and are there many RNZAF profiles? (I'll just ignore the wing roundels :))

Evan, I have checked on a couple of shots of the NZ Corsairs. Regarding the fuselage roundels and the ring .. the yellow is certain. In many cases it can be noticed that the outer ring was applied on the USA marking and was of the US outline size. What is more it peeled off at many areas often. Also the ring wasn't applied as the one full outline but as the two halves at the top and bottom of the over-painted US marking.

Vought-F4U-1D-Corsair-RNZAF.jpg

Vought-F4U-1D-Corsair-RNZAF-14Sqn.jpg

RNZAF-Corsair-23Sqn.jpg

Vought-F4U-1D-Corsair-RNZAF-16Sqn21st-Dec-1944-01.jpg

Regarding the top and bottom wing roundels. IMHO the pic below is the very good example. In many images I have noticed slightly darker outline around the disk. It may mean that the US marking wasn't overpainted fully but to the thin outline only. Or it was done not too accurate often like below.

RNZAF-Vought-F4U-1D-Corsairs-31-Servicing-Unit-NZ5356-NZ5314-n-NZ5358-based-at-Espiritu-Santo-01.jpg

RNZAF-Vought-F4U-1D.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Cheers mate, I'll do so straight away then! -
Are there photos of the subjects aswell, or just profiles, and are there many RNZAF profiles? (I'll just ignore the wing roundels :))
There are about 6 pages on the RNZAF. Only 4 profiles and 8 pictures of corsairs. Which some have better views of the aircraft for the profile then others and that includes the pictures of the 3 I posted above. There are 19 chapters which each one dedicated to a VMF squadron. One chapter on Misc units for about 120 pages total for book. If you are only looking for RNZAF Corsairs then this probably not the book for you. Maybe only 3 paragraphs of wording for the RNZAF.

Hope that helps.

All the best
Paul

Last edited:
These are the decals I'm using on the "Start to Finish" Corsair build I'm working on at the moment. Note the yellow half rings for the fuselage roundels. Looking closer and you can see a couple of the wing decals have rough painted edges with a slight colour variation where the US Star has been painted out.

20231016 4.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back