A new Earth-like planet found... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maestro

Master Sergeant
From the CBC :

"It's a major discovery: a planet orbiting a red dwarf star some 20.5 light years away with Earth-like qualities, including a radius only 50 per cent larger and a mass about five more than our own planet.

But the potential of the planet to hold liquid water on its surface is what makes the discovery, unveiled Tuesday by the European Southern Observatory in Germany, so intriguing. [...]"

For more on this discovery, visit :
CBC News In Depth: Water water everywhere

This could prove promising. The planet could have life. However, if it doesn't support life than it could still prove usful as an Alpha Colony for Earth. If something bad is about to happen to Earth like say an asteroid or the sun exploding. move as many people you can to the Alpha Colony.

Though it will be years before we're advanced enough to go to the planet.

Probably plenty of planets that can harbor life. Just have to define "Life". Carbon based? Silicone based? Kinda tricky figuring that out. We have a pretty limited perspective on life, having experienced it only on one planet.

As for it being a second colony of Earth, wouldn't put much money on it. Far away, hard to get to and while it may be Earth like, that doesn't mean it has qualities like Earth. Could have an atmosphere that is all CO2 (send in Al Gore!). Could be waterless. Could be just about anything.

This could prove promising. The planet could have life. However, if it doesn't support life than it could still prove usful as an Alpha Colony for Earth. If something bad is about to happen to Earth like say an asteroid or the sun exploding. move as many people you can to the Alpha Colony.

Though it will be years before we're advanced enough to go to the planet.

Now, if we only had a spaceship that could travel at light speed......and it would still take 20.5 years to get to it. :oops:

I said it could. Although, there are those who thing faster than light speed is possible and now that they're developing anti-matter fuel we just need to build up a more practical space craft than the space shuttle.

I forget what the formula was, but hey anythings possible. I heard it about it in my high school physics classes.

And Erich don't even get me started on that scientology bull. Let alone adding the virgins into the mix.

Silicone based?

Ah... So you had a trip to California, eh ?

No seriously, now. What if we send a probe there and an eventualy more evoluated life form take it as a declaration of war ? We could end up with an intergalactic war without even knowing it before being invaded by thousands of ETs.

... Or may be I just watch too much TV... :rolleyes:

We lose a planet, we gain a planet. High school kids must be getting very confused.

I wonder if the people on that planet found us at the same time as we found them? OK, must stop watching Twilight Zone. :oops:

Well adler if it helps they plan on having a moon colony by 2020.

I said it could. Although, there are those who thing faster than light speed is possible and now that they're developing anti-matter fuel we just need to build up a more practical space craft than the space shuttle.

I forget what the formula was, but hey anythings possible. I heard it about it in my high school physics classes.

And Erich don't even get me started on that scientology bull. Let alone adding the virgins into the mix.

Aahh, but current theory is that you don't need to go faster than the speed of light. It is theorized that time slows down commensurately as you approach the speed of light. Therefore, relativity would make if appear that you were actually travelling faster than the speed of light. :toothy5:

The new planet can be a location for the next "Survivor".

Or a residence for all who produce that stupid show. I have never ONCE spent the time to watch it. I'm afraid that would be an hour of my life I would never get back.

Or a residence for all who produce that stupid show. I have never ONCE spent the time to watch it. I'm afraid that would be an hour of my life I would never get back.

Never have either. Want to see a REAL Survivor. None of this made up crap. Put these jokers on an island, each with a different instrument that deals death. The one that is alive at the end gets the million dollars and pass from the Jurisdictional Authority that they won't be tried for any of the crimes they committed during the show.

Make "Lord of the Flies" look tame by comparison.

No not all crimes. There's always one crime that is not legal. There needs to be some sort of a twist to it.

Or a residence for all who produce that stupid show. .

Crappy show but the producers are smart. Those types of shows are insanely cheap to produce.

I'd rather be watching NOVA, Survivorman, Dogfights, Shootout, the Simpsons, Southpark, I shouldn't be alive......

or having my eyes gouged out with a melon baller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back