A Small Museum in My Neighborhood

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi

Colonel
Feb 17, 2008
Osaka
Sorry but I have been forgetting to introduce a local museum in my neighborhood - Osaka Traffic Science Museum(*official English name: Modern Transportation Museum).

Here comes 'Walter HWK509A-2r rocket engine for Me163B circa 1943' first.
This is not replica but real one which was gifted by the USAF in 1970 when EXPO'70 was held in Osaka, together with a XLR-11-RM-5 rocket engine for Bell X-1.

Please enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks Gnomey, timshatz and Aaron for your kind attention

Since this museum was originally built for the railroad fans, there are not so many aviation items but selected well enough to enjoy.

Last edited:
Thank you, vB!

This is Nakajima's Homare(Ha-45) aircraft engine though terribly damaged.
3rd photo is a montage with my 3d CG work to show this engine's original appearances.

Sorry if you should be complicated.
This is an attempt...

Attachments

• PC020135S_combinedSS.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Shin, what airframe was the HA-45 mated to? What was the horsepower output?

It looks a bit like a Wright Cyclone.

Thanks for your good question, timshatz.

Ha-45 was mounted on the army Type 4 fighter(Ki-84 Hayate for the allied code name Frank), the navy N1K2J Shindenkai as 'Homare' for code name George and some other navy bombers.

The caption says -

"
Type: Air-cooled double-row radial engine
Number of cylinder: 18
Output: 2000hp

Weight: 850kg
Production year: 1942-45
Manufacturer: Nakajima Aircraft Co., Ltd.

Gifted by Fuji Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
(Old Nakajima Aircraft Co., Ltd.)

Photo below
Type 4 fighter 'Hayate(Frank)'
"

Last edited:
This "Le Rhone type C" engine
was manufactured by Tokyo Gas Electric Industry Co., Ltd in 1922 under the license of French 'Le Rhone' with 9 cylinders/80hp to be mounted on the army Type Koh(A) model 3 fighter which was also a licensed product of "Nieuport 24C1" by Nakajima Aircraft Co., Ltd.

Attachments

• PC050225SS.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN3698SS.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Continental type O-470-11 horizontally opposed, air-cooled aircraft engine with 6 cylinders and 213hp manufactured by Fuji Automobile Co., Ltd. under the license of Continental Motors in 1958.

Hispano-Suiza 8F water-cooled V8 engine with 300hp manufactured by Mitsubishi Engine Manufacturing Co., Ltd. under the license of Hispano-Suiza France in 1921. Mounted on C1M(Type 10 reconnaissance plane) and many other military and civilian planes.

Maybach type HSLu airship water-cooled line engine manufactured in Germany circa 1915.
6 cylinders 240hp.
Mounted on N-3 airship in Japan.

Attachments

• PC020128SS.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 194
Alison J35 axial flow turbo jet engine originally developed by GE and manufactured by Alison in 1950.

Max thrust: 2,540kgs
Max RPM: 7,800rpm
Diameter: 940mm
Length: 3,710mm
Weight: 1,946kgs

Attachments

• DSCN3723SS.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 165
Wow...good stuff their Shinpachi. I really enjoyed this look at your neighborhood museum. I love looking at old engines, beautiful works of engineering art...

Thank you Nakajima-san!
I am glad to have your favorable comment as I know these engines are not necessarily popular today.

Users who are viewing this thread