A6M3 Model 22 and F4F-4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SCook

Airman
Aug 1, 2009
Defiance, Ohio
1. I'm trying to convert Hasagawa's 1/32nd A6M5c into a A6M3 Model 22. I've Googled and Binged till I'm blue in the face but can't find a good set of line drawings for the A6M3 (other than a Hamp). I especially need drawings of upper and lower wings. Can someone help me out on this.

2. Same deal with cockpit photos of an F4F-4 Wildcat. Any guidance there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Stu

Last edited:
Can't help with A6M3's, but from my copy of "Pilot's Handbook for Model F4F-4 Airplane - Engine R-1830-86 Contract No 75736"

Attachments

• F4F interior 1 page 19.jpg
    F4F interior 1 page 19.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 252
  • F4F interior 2 page 20.jpg
    F4F interior 2 page 20.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 246
  • F4F interior 3 page 21.jpg
    F4F interior 3 page 21.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 286
here ya go Stu....hope this helps....maybe I should send you the bigger scans?

Attachments

• A6M3 Model 2232_aa.JPG
    A6M3 Model 2232_aa.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 309
  • A6M3 Model 2232_bb.JPG
    A6M3 Model 2232_bb.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Wayne,

Those are just fine. Thanks again. Looks like I've got a bit of work to do though.

"No worries...lower wings will be the bigger challenge!"

>>Most definately. Didn't realize I was going to have relocate the cartridge ejection port, extend the wingtips and modify the ailerons inboard and out (besides the other stuff I did know of)...but hey, I guess thats why we don't buy them already put together. Amazing what can happen with a good template and a pair of dividers.

Virtual Foster's fer ya. Thanks again Wayne.

Stu

"No worries...lower wings will be the bigger challenge!"

>>Most definately. Didn't realize I was going to have relocate the cartridge ejection port, extend the wingtips and modify the ailerons inboard and out (besides the other stuff I did know of)...but hey, I guess thats why we don't buy them already put together. Amazing what can happen with a good template and a pair of dividers.

Virtual Foster's fer ya. Thanks again Wayne.

Stu

You're welcome!:D just set up a thread and show us some pics.....I'm interested in the progress of this bird!:D

Awesome challenge, SCook:shock:8):shock:
It will be almost scratch build.

Shinpachi,

Well, I was hoping it wouldn't be that much scratch building, but my research is far from complete. So far, my tweak list includes:

1. Modifying the cowl flaps back to the original layout with the exhausts at the bottom and polishing off the exhaust protection plates at the front of the fusalage.

2. Eliminating the outboard machine gun and sanding off all associated access panels.

3. Reloacating the catridge ejection port and reconfiguring access panels for the wing cannons.

4. Extending the wing tips to the earlier Type 22 folding configuration.

5. Modifying the outboard ends of the ailerons to the square end configuration.

6. Extending the ailerons inboard and modifying the flaps accordingly.

7. Eliminate bomb racks.

8. Modification to the rear canapy to emulate the variant that did not have an antenne mast.

9. As yet not listed modifications to the cockpit.

10. Relocating the pitot tube

11. Arrestor hook:?:

12. Reconfigure external fuel tank and fairing.

This is the aircraft I'm planning...Nishizawa's a/c at Rabal. Feel free to post here or PM or post here with anything I've not yet found in the research. And Wayne, I'll try to set up a build thread with current progress in the next week or two.

Attachments

• A6M3_Model22_UI105_Nishizawa.jpg
    A6M3_Model22_UI105_Nishizawa.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
SCook, thought I'd let you know that the CAF SoCal has a complete flying A6M3 Type 22 that originally was assigned to the IJN Air Group 3, and there's a number of full-sized color photos of it in various threads here in the forums...

Don't know if they'd be of any help or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

SCook, thought I'd let you know that the CAF SoCal has a complete flying A6M3 Type 22 that originally was assigned to the IJN Air Group 3, and there's a number of full-sized color photos of it in various threads here in the forums...

Don't know if they'd be of any help or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

GrauGeist,

I found this a while back. I don't remember where I found it but it very well may have been from this site. But I'll repost it here just to boost search results in the future for a AM63 Model 22.

SVSM Gallery :: Mitsubishi A6M3 Type 22 Zero, Pacific Coast Dream Machines 2009, by Vladimir Yakubov :: P1450482

And yes, it will be a great help. One of the best walk-arounds I've seen. It's 137 pics with a huge amount of detail.

Thanks,
Stu

GrauGeist,

I found this a while back. I don't remember where I found it but it very well may have been from this site. But I'll repost it here just to boost search results in the future for a AM63 Model 22.

SVSM Gallery :: Mitsubishi A6M3 Type 22 Zero, Pacific Coast Dream Machines 2009, by Vladimir Yakubov :: P1450482

And yes, it will be a great help. One of the best walk-arounds I've seen. It's 137 pics with a huge amount of detail.

Thanks,
Stu
Great link, and defiantely of great use for modelling!

The CAF's Zero is also amazing to see in the air...here's a photo taken a couple weekends back here at the Redding Airshow.
107127.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back