Academy P-47D Thunderbolt "Razor-Back" 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
Well here is my second Jug flown by Lt. A.H. Rainbow, 391st FS/366th FG. I still have a long way to go with detail and quality but am determined to start doing some weathering.

Funny thing is before I built these 2 Jugs, I would say my favorite plane of WWII was a toss up between a P-51 and a F4-U, now it's hands down the P-47.

I have one more 1/72 on the bench, the NMF bubbletop "Chief", but I'm eventually going to get the guts to get a 1/48 on there.

Critics welcome!

Attachments

• P-47D Razorback 2.jpg
    P-47D Razorback 2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Fly Fishing.jpg
    Fly Fishing.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 212
  • P-47D Razorback 1.jpg
    P-47D Razorback 1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 219
  • P-47D Razorback 3.jpg
    P-47D Razorback 3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 233
The first several pics look great. The last one however looks like you are using the wrong tippet :evil4:

Seriously great work and I'm jealous of the fly fishing shot!

6lb tippet for the Pere Marquette river, in Northern Michigan. Nothing like fishing for steelhead in the middle of Winter. I think I saw 5 deer walk by that day as well.

Thank you for the compliments on the kit.

I've always liked the tbolt myself big and beefy and nice paint job but the decals look like they did not want to cooperate.

Tim, you are correct, the decals were tricky and I'm not fond of the way the white stripes turned out; I should have painted them. I put a coat of Future on before the decals and dull coat after.

That looks great, Jon! I'm surprised the decals silvered like that after you put them on over the coat of Future. The plane looks great, though! Very nice job!

That looks great, Jon! I'm surprised the decals silvered like that after you put them on over the coat of Future. The plane looks great, though! Very nice job!

Thanks Andy!

I was surprised about the decals as well. Although this canopy doesn't look very good, I still love that trick you PM'd me about and how to make them cleaner.

Jon

Hi Jon:

Jon:
Your razorback Jug came out looking t**s!! If I may add a word: Is that gray that I see on your bombs? Shouldn't they be bronze green, or Testor's Olive Drab in the square bottle? Also, I found a quick and dirty way to paint yellow stripes on bombs. Take your bombs, chuck them gently in your cord drill, take a 00 brush dipped in flat yellow, and while the bomb is spinning, carefully hold the brush to the proper area where you want your yellow paint to go. Voila! Perfect bomb stripes every time. OTTH

Best regards,
Pete

Hi Jon:

: Is that gray that I see on your bombs? Shouldn't they be bronze green, or Testor's Olive Drab in the square bottle?

Best regards,
Pete

Pete,

Wow, how did I miss that LOL? Thanks for the compliment, tip about the stripes, and the bombs. I'll change the color of those bombs right away.

Jon

Jon , the Jug looks very nice. The effect of the decal silvering might have been caused by applying of too thin layer of the Future liquid. As a result the surface under decals wasn't smooth enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back