Accurate Miniatures Yak 1b - 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all

Curious as to what you used for the edge of the masking ?? I've heard silly putty works great but that looks too light to be SP ??

Its UHU white tack, i found it a a local art supply store. I've used silly putty before but it tends to run and i wasn't happy with the results. This stuff works well.

Thanks Geo.

I have decided some time ago to make this Yak as #48 of the 1st Fighter Regiment "Warszawa", as the project is nearing completion I have to decide whether to put on the Polish insignia or not. Like the Polish Airforce units in the west, the Airforce of the Polish People's Army carried the marks of the larger Airforce along who's side it operated and small Polish insignia on the engine cowl. Not all aircraft carried the mark though, and in the case of 48 I have two sources - the documentation that came with the decals, and a book written in Poland in the 1980's, one with the emblem and one without. I do not have any pictures showing the cowl of the actual aircraft, so I must make the decision myself. Yak #48 was flown by the units Political officer, and was funded "from Polish patriot prof. Wolf Messing to Polish aviators" so my gut tells me it would have the Polish checkerboard.

48-1.png

48.png

10.jpg

lotnicy-jaka.jpg

According to the articel in the "Lotnictwo z szachownicą" magazine no.51, the Medard Konieczny's Yak-1B ( White 48 ) serial 48184 wore the inscription for 5 months only. Then it was overpainted and the same inscription got the Yak-1B ( White 13 ) serial 13163. There aren't too many pictures showing both of the Yaks.
There are two images of the White 48 published in the article. In both of them we can see the Yak without the inscription. A shot showing the starboard of the kite reveals the Polish checkerboard there. It is not too good seen but it was there. I think it is an effect of being dirty because of exhaust fumes.
The small pic ,you posted above as the last one, shows Cpt. Oleg Matwiejew and Lt. Witold Gabis standing next to the White 13. Later , the inscription there got the Polish translation written below that with a little bit lighter white paint. So , the second to last image shows just the Wite 13 with the kind writting. Also there have been published two profiles of these Yaks in the magazine. There is the Polish checkerboard applied on both of the Yaks. The White 48 is without the inscription and the White 13 with the Russian and Polish one.

BTW ... the White 13 had the front part of the spinner painted white according to her profile.

Thanks Wurger, white 13 was in Flight #2 so it had the white spinner - I have one more AM Yak 1b and will save the white 13 decals for that build, it will be much later though. Konieczny was in the command flight so white 48 had the spinner in AMT-11 only.

Based on the new information I decided to repaint some of the cammo, and soften the transitions. I also took the opportunity to fix a horrible gap that I only noticed in the pictures....
wtf.png

Here is the starboard of the fuselage after repair and repainting
P1090375.jpg

And here is the port side.
P1090374.jpg

Finally I couldn't wait any longer and I started the Kilmov engine, it fired up on the first try :cool:
P1090389.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back