Accurate Miniatures Yak 1b - 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I do like what you did with the struts.

If you plan to solder them, I would do a test first.

My approach would be to melt some solder on the tip of the iron, then touch it to the aluminum of the can and get it to flow between the steel and the aluminum.

Just know that it needs to be a Hot join, not a cold one where the solder clumps up. It must flow between the pieces to hold fast. The one thing I learned in Sonar school in repairing electronics.

Also, the super glue may flash and flame up..... that'll be exciting!!!!!

Thanks, everyone.

If you plan to solder them, I would do a test first.

My approach would be to melt some solder on the tip of the iron, then touch it to the aluminum of the can and get it to flow between the steel and the aluminum.

I did make a quick test and the solder refused to attach to the metal of the can so i just left it with CA.

Remember, or should I say"advice", the interior of the can are laquer painted, clear, to prevent the contents from coming in contact with raw aluminium which would cause corosion and contamination. A good reason to NEVER buy a bent can!!!!! You would have to sand inside and outside surfaces to get them to solder. Best would be brass shim stock if soldering is going to be done. Just sayin.

I used to work for the can division of Kaiser Aluminum and designed the conveyor systems for some of the many can plants.

I am slowly getting ready for paint. I am working my way through the VVS colours and I think I came up with a combination that will work, the paints suggested by vallejo seem just tad off so I mixed things up a bit. I think I will go with the colours marked in red :?:.

lakier.jpg

Looking good. But the AMT-11 could be a little bit more bluish in my opinion. But it might be a matter of the light while taking of the pic.

Looking good. But the AMT-11 could be a little bit more bluish in my opinion. But it might be a matter of the light while taking of the pic.

I think you are right Wurger , I may also try to source AKAN paints here in Canada... Apparently they are the closest match out there...

We are ready to watch that application of colors. :shock: Good work so far.

:)idea: What interesting contribution Bill, welding aluminum of a beer can :idea:. Thanks for sharing)

Regards amigos :occasion5:

Nice info. There is/was a source in Ontario, but the last time I saw it was quite a while ago. The company imported a lot of modeling stuff.

Geo

I've contacted Linden Hill Imports in NY about shipping to Canada - i'll find out. In the meanwhile I will try to clean and prime the model this weekend. If you think of the name of the company in Ont. please let me know.

Cheers

I added the last few details, a pitot tube from two hypodermic needles
P1080744.jpg

And the antenna hardpoints on the vertical stab, made ofcourse from a beer can :)
P1080742.jpg

I managed to put the base coat on, and now the Yak will be drying for the next few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back